Really? This Qualifies For "Stand Your Ground"

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
I'll throw in my .02. As a responsibly armed American, the last thing I do is look for confrontation. I am trained and ready for it but the last thing I want to do is pull that trigger. Besides dealing with the emotional trauma, it's gonna cost you a boat load of money regardless of the final outcome.

It looks to me like both parties are responsible for this one. Armed Billy badass shouldn't be picking a fight over a parking spot and dead dude shoulda just let the idiot spout off and leave.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Being this is FL...I was on George Zimmerman’s side because Trayvon Martin continued to attack while he was on the ground. This guy did not. This was murder IMHO.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If the Stand Your Ground law protects this murderer in this particular case then that law needs to be amended. How many of you have been pushed by someone? If you were armed would you have shot them?

It wasn't just a "push", he knocked the guy to the ground. If I thought the kicks were inbound, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the guy. The guy on the ground with the guy standing over him is why the prosecutor declined to prosecute, it would be impossibly to prove the guy wasn't fearful for his life. I think the fact that he only fired a single round also played a factor.

Understand, I think the guy should have pulled his gun to see if that was enough to get the guy to back off, but then again, I wasn't on the ground looking up.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
It wasn't just a "push", he knocked the guy to the ground. If I thought the kicks were inbound, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the guy. The guy on the ground with the guy standing over him is why the prosecutor declined to prosecute, it would be impossibly to prove the guy wasn't fearful for his life. I think the fact that he only fired a single round also played a factor.

Understand, I think the guy should have pulled his gun to see if that was enough to get the guy to back off, but then again, I wasn't on the ground looking up.

As if I didn't watch it enough times I went back and watched it one more time. Yeah, it was a mighty shove but the guy made no move that indicated any further action and he was already backing off before the murderer even drew his weapon.
I'd even go as far as to say this guy was looking for a reason to use his firearm.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Was it a legally marked handicapped space? It has to be both painted on the ground and have a proper sign in front of it.

Either way, manslaughter. Dude got cucked and pulled a gun in retaliation. Deadly force is only authorize if your life is in danger. His was not. Plain and simple.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I see your point. At what point is someone acting like a tough guy just to instigate a fight and then use deadly force when somone pushs you to the ground. You would go straight to jail if you did that in CT.
Yep! For sure.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Like to see where the victim was shot.

He's a typical means test for LE using deadly force. Does the subject have the means, opportunity/ability, and intent to cause death or bodily harm that could result in death? At the moment of the shooting, the answer is NO. Period.

Couple examples to get you thinking: a guy is standing 15' from me saying he is going to kill me and he has a rock in his hand. But the "rock" is the size of a quarter. Can I shoot him? Good luck arguing that a rock that small is a deadly weapon at 15'. A lot of stuff goes into considering the decision....lets say I'm tired, subject is clearly much stronger/bigger than me, starts advancing...etc. That changes things.

I would def. vote guilty on a manslaughter charge if I was on this jury.

Depends on the guy who said he is going to kill you. If he is bigger then you 15' isn't spit. It has been shown many times over that the so called 21' rule does not work. A person can cover that distance in less the 2 seconds and for most folks it takes longer then that to draw and fire a weapon. So if there was someone 15' from me who indicated he was going to kill me I would already have my weapon drawn because I would not let him get that close rock in his hand or not.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Still wondering what the lady in the car said and why she got out if she felt so threatened. Wonder if she mouthed off to the guy and said her man was going to come out and kill him or something.

MG0h3

Established Member
Depends on the guy who said he is going to kill you. If he is bigger then you 15' isn't spit. It has been shown many times over that the so called 21' rule does not work. A person can cover that distance in less the 2 seconds and for most folks it takes longer then that to draw and fire a weapon. So if there was someone 15' from me who indicated he was going to kill me I would already have my weapon drawn because I would not let him get that close rock in his hand or not.

Ya but that doesn't mean you shoot him. Nobody is closing 15' faster than I can pull the trigger. As seen in the video, gun comes out, dudes hand come up in a defensive position and he turns to leave.

And yes, I addressed "other circumstances" that might warrant deadly force when ordinarily you wouldn't.

I do not feel deadly force was warranted in this shoot. In fact, I don't know how anybody could prove that guy felt like his life was in danger when the dude is turning and walking away.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ya but that doesn't mean you shoot him. Nobody is closing 15' faster than I can pull the trigger.

And yes, I addressed "other circumstances" that might warrant deadly force when ordinarily you wouldn't.

I do not feel deadly force was warranted in this shoot. In fact, I don't know how anybody could prove that guy felt like his life was in danger when the dude is turning and walking away.
He does not have to prove it, just feel it.

MG0h3

Established Member
Two words for ya,
Treyvon Martin

This is Florida where defending yourself is an option.

Think somebody already mentioned the difference in circumstances.

Are you really suggesting that anybody that gets shoved onto the ground, with no further aggression, can pull a gun and shoot somebody? There was ZERO life threatening activity.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

Are you really suggesting that anybody that gets shoved onto the ground, with no further aggression, can pull a gun and shoot somebody? There was ZERO life threatening activity.
Abe Lincoln said it best,
"My right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins."

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

See with my spinal conditions a push can be life threatening. Better watch who you push. Not that I go around telling lazy and inconsiderate ****ers where to park. I leave that to police.

My94GT

Established Member
My problem with this is the guy initiated the whole problem by trying to mitigate a parking situation.

Set aside his prior history causing troubles with that, in the vid after the body check it’s hard to see where his life is in danger. Sure pull the gun, but no need to fire if the said attacker hasn’t advanced.

Users who are viewing this thread