Really? This Qualifies For "Stand Your Ground"

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, it really is. Go out and shoot at that distance by pressing the gun out towards the target and you should easily hit it. I remember taking a class a year or so ago and doing drills where I'd draw from my holster and shoot while moving horizontally at a target without looking through my sights.

He was knocked down but the point I'm making is more towards the poster you replied to who was talking about how it took the guy a few seconds to get on target so him shooting was justified. (paraphrasing of course).

Just channel your inner Chuck Norris.

Edit: And yes, I agree on wanting to ensure a good shot but if you're so scared for your life with someone that close are you really going to be lining up your front and rear sight? Come on dawg.

I’ve done a fair bit of shooting... I would not just bust it out and start shooting, without getting sights on first. If you wanna do different, be my guest.

It took the guy 1 sec from the moment the gun was out and ready, to actually shoot the guy. Seems like a reasonable amount of time to me, for ensuring a good shot, while under duress.

Feel free to blast away, Chuck style!

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
People need to remember that you're legally responsible for every single round you fire.

That is why it is very important to get your target or the threat in your sights.

Otherwise, you shoot someone else or destroy property, you're screwed.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I’ve done a fair bit of shooting... I would not just bust it out and start shooting, without getting sights on first. If you wanna do different, be my guest.

It took the guy 1 sec from the moment the gun was out and ready, to actually shoot the guy. Seems like a reasonable amount of time to me, for ensuring a good shot, while under duress.

Feel free to blast away, Chuck style!

Fair enough.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Now that the derailed section of track of gone, I would like to hear exactly what it is that would make you find Drejka guilty. I want to start by saying that Drejka’s actions don’t sit well with me, but it wouldn’t cause me to find him guilty and face prison time. His past accusations don’t sit well with me either. I am judging him in this case, that we call all see on video. He was legally carrying a concealed firearm. He was in a place where he had a right to be. He had the right to tell someone that they were parking illegally. Mr. Mcglockton committed battery on Mr. Drejka. I struggled through two things. Did that attack warrant the shooting, and the seemingly long time to fire the gun once it was out. I’ll work through those problems. For the first part of the question, I had to put myself or someone I care about in his shoes. He’s older and weaker than me, so I asked myself if my wife or father should have shot him. The answer is absolutely yes. A violent blindsided attack where the aggressor pulls up his pants and appears to be wanting to do more harm and the driver of the vehicle gets out would make a reasonable person fearful. The last part is tricky. I saw the video a few times and felt like he didn’t have to shoot. It appears the gun came out and Mr. Mcglockton took a step back and bladed his body. I counted a one second delay on were I felt it should have registered to the shooter that it was over. I started thinking that this was one shot that was well placed. It seems to me that he knew he had a bad backstop if he missed or haphazardly shot off a bunch of rounds. In the video you see him getting his sight picture and firing. Just as I have done at the shooting range. You identify your target, stare at your front sight while the target gets out of focus and then pull the trigger. And so I couldn’t find him guilty. That delay was him aiming. He wouldn’t have been able to see him take a step back. He probably had one eye shut. I don’t like it. It doesn’t sit well with me that it happened. I would have been able to avoid it. What specifically made you find him guilty?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

The problem is this...there are a bunch of assumptions because your watching the video and no sound. You have eliminated other assumptions or facts Im sure came out in court.
What if the store owner or a patron informed the boyfriend his girlfriend and kid were being assaulted or harassed in the car? I may have the same reaction as the boyfriend in an attempt to defend them, especially if someone is near my car.
Add the fact that the boyfriend may know Drejka’s demeanor or interactions with others may have heightened his reaction.
The girlfriend, store owner and other patrons most likely testified what they saw and claimed the victim was defending his girlfriend and child.
So, does this qualify as a SYG justified shooting? or a case of manslaughter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Yes, it really is. Go out and shoot at that distance by pressing the gun out towards the target and you should easily hit it. I remember taking a class a year or so ago and doing drills where I'd draw from my holster and shoot while moving horizontally at a target without looking through my sights.

He was knocked down but the point I'm making is more towards the poster you replied to who was talking about how it took the guy a few seconds to get on target so him shooting was justified. (paraphrasing of course).

Just channel your inner Chuck Norris.

Edit: And yes, I agree on wanting to ensure a good shot but if you're so scared for your life with someone that close are you really going to be lining up your front and rear sight? Come on dawg.

upload_2019-8-28_14-37-18.gif

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The problem is this...there are a bunch of assumptions because your watching the video and no sound. You have eliminated other assumptions or facts Im sure came out in court.
What if the store owner or a patron informed the boyfriend his girlfriend and kid were being assaulted or harassed in the car? I may have the same reaction as the boyfriend in an attempt to defend them, especially if someone is near my car.
Add the fact that the boyfriend may know Drejka’s demeanor or interactions with others may have heightened his reaction.
The girlfriend, store owner and other patrons most likely testified what they saw and claimed the victim was defending his girlfriend and child.
So, does this qualify as a SYG justified shooting? or a case of manslaughter?

If you assault someone because you hear from a stranger that your wife is being harassed, you are gonna be in trouble bro.

Might wanna reconsider that, or else you could end up like the dead guy in the Op.

_Snake_

Established Member
If you have to get your sights on target at that distance you need more time at the range. That's point and shoot range right there.

Lol

Maybe in a controlled, stress-free environment when you’re anticipating drawing and firing.

That’s not real life.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
If you assault someone because you hear from a stranger that your wife is being harassed, you are gonna be in trouble bro.

Might wanna reconsider that, or else you could end up like the dead guy in the Op.

You missed a point after someone informs me of a situation like that. If I see some one harassing or assaulting my family member, Im going to react and not debate if its the right thing to do. My reaction may be a shove or an EQUAL response to the threat.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
You missed a point after someone informs me of a situation like that. If I see some one harassing or assaulting my family member, Im going to react and not debate if its the right thing to do. My reaction may be a shove or an EQUAL response to the threat.

I didn’t miss any points. I am telling you that as proven by the OP, it is not very intelligent to react in the manner in which you are describing, based on someone’s hearsay.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I didn’t miss any points. I am telling you that as proven by the OP, it is not very intelligent to react in the manner in which you are describing, based on someone’s hearsay.

You missed the point again......I am now witnessing the situation (no hearsay) and an equal response. A shove is not out of the question.

jaxbusa

Established Member
You could always come out of the store and ask what’s going on. It’s not like he was trying to get in the car or grabbing at her. You can come out and see it was just verbal.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
You could always come out of the store and ask what’s going on. It’s not like he was trying to get in the car or grabbing at her. You can come out and see it was just verbal.

That may be an equal response. And again we don’t know what was said leading up to the shove. What we do know when the victim exited the store....is Drejka is at the victims car voicing something and talking with hand gestures while the girlfriend is exiting the car.

It’s possible there was a threatening situation.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
You missed the point again......I am now witnessing the situation (no hearsay) and an equal response. A shove is not out of the question.

I didn’t.

Your original statement justified the assault to Drejka, because someone came in and notified Mcglockton. You said that you would do the same.

I’m saying that it would be stupid on your part to do the same as Mcglocton did. You could end up just like he did.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I didn’t.

Your original statement justified the assault to Drejka, because someone came in and notified Mcglockton. You said that you would do the same.

I’m saying that it would be stupid on your part to do the same as Mcglocton did. You could end up just like he did.

That is not what I said nor is it printed that way. It says “I may have the same reaction”. It does not justify the assualt to Drejka. There may be more going on in the video than what you or I know since there is no sound.
I also clarified that I would have an equal response, a shove is not out of the question.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
That is not what I said nor is it printed that way. It says “I may have the same reaction”. It does not justify the assualt to Drejka. There may be more going on in the video than what you or I know since there is no sound.
I also clarified that I would have an equal response, a shove is not out of the question.

Stop and think about it for a sec.

You said that you may have had the same reaction as Mcglockton. That means you endorse his actions, which got him killed.

I, for the last time, am telling you that you doing the same would be very dumb.

shurur

Established Member
Why would he not have a right to be in an establishment open to the public? Had he been PNG'd ?

My not being clear...it is definitely up to each individual member of a jury.

But for me, his history of confronting and threatening folks, several times before, about that particular parking spot IMO shows instigation on his part.

Couple that semi-stalking behavior (anyone allegedly illegally parked in that spot) with his actions of acting like self appointed LE, destroys the "any place he has a right to be" criteria for me.

The confrontation comes off as preconceived on his part, like all he was waiting for was some physical contact as an excuse.

For me, the term "anywhere he has a right to be" implies someone minding his own business and not making trouble for others or himself.

Again, I am saying this as one who has gone to trial for merely defending myself on my own damn property.

Last edited:

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Stop and think about it for a sec.

You said that you may have had the same reaction as Mcglockton. That means you endorse his actions, which got him killed.

I, for the last time, am telling you that you doing the same would be very dumb.

Stop and assess the whole picture. First of all, of all the reactions I could have in a similar situation (possibly talking calmly to a suspect to the other end of the spectrum....possibly pulling a gun and shooting them dead after I tried to retreat because Im in Ohio) my reaction will be an EQUAL reaction to the situation. Killing someone because they called you a butthead is not an Equal response.
If someone in a store told me my wife was being being assaulted in my car ( hearsay) and I came out and assessed that was actually happening (fact), I will shove that person without a second thought.
If someone is aiming a gun at a family member with the intent to shoot, Im going draw my weapon and shoot them.

As for why “ I may have the same reaction”....
Again and referring to the video. We don’t know if there was a verbal altercation or threat Drejka made to the victims girlfriend. If his girlfriend WAS being verbally assaulted or threatened and the victims reaction was to shove Drejka out of the way, I may have the same reaction as well. Again the video does not have sound. But there are witnesses including the girlfriend and a child that most likely did not help Drejka in court.

Users who are viewing this thread