Really fat at idle

93svt#981

Established Member
The car has an awful smell of gas when it is idling and no it's not throwing any codes. If I back in the garage instead of just pulling in and shutting it off it stinks up the house it's so bad. It doesn't make any sense because it seems to run fine. Does the frps control anything at idle?

bigmoose

Established Member
The car has an awful smell of gas when it is idling and no it's not throwing any codes. If I back in the garage instead of just pulling in and shutting it off it stinks up the house it's so bad. It doesn't make any sense because it seems to run fine. Does the frps control anything at idle?

I blew my FRPS on my last cobra. Car started fine but ran super rich because of the false reading, causing high fuel pressure thus the richness.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
That I can't answer. Maybe Bigmoose can answer that? I wonder if your O2's are acting up? Whats done to the car?

Keep us updated.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You talking really rich? This post makes no sense.

LOL! You must be a young guy.

Fat = rich;-) Opposite of lean... make sense now?
A very old hot rodding term started back in the carburetor days. Still in use in racing circles today.
<style fprolloverstyle>A:hover {color: #FF0000; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: bold} </style> <title>Hotrod Slang

Try unplugging the FRPS and see if it changes after a few minutes.

Do you keep a spare in the console? If so put it on and try it.

If not I would get one, even if it's not the problem these go out often enough That I keep a spare one in the console along with a small 7mm wrench.

Sometimes when the diaphragm in the FRPS blows, they will not run and having a spare one could save you a tow.

When the electronics half of it goes, you can usually drive it home by unplugging it.

Teej281

Established Member
I knew what it meant. Just asking for clarification like any conditions under which the car acts oddly or something.

Last edited:

SVT GI

Established Member
1. Check the FRPS

2. Use a handheld (SCT, Diablo) and read your stft b1 & b2. At idle they both should be 1.00 +/- 3%. If one is really rich, it will read .75 or close to it. That is a bad front O2.

Most of the time, neither one will throw a code.

93svt#981

Established Member
I took the car to Amazon today and Rick was very helpful. The frps is good. The o2 sensors are all over the place. I ordered them and will have them tomorrow. I will update this once I get them installed. Thanks for all the help guys!

Mystic03

Established Member
^ no codes were shown and your 02's were misreading? seems odd since 02's are constantly being tested

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
nice to get to see everyone yesterday..

your car is so pretty :burnout:

did Rick tell you he is painting his Gen 1 Lighting the same color?

bigmoose

Established Member
^ no codes were shown and your 02's were misreading? seems odd since 02's are constantly being tested

If the o2 sensor is swinging properly, just not enough or biased to one side, i doubt the computer will pick that up. Usually you would only get a code if the o2 took a total dump and stayed at a fixed voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread