Really big pull CEL was flashing?

Austin Brian

Established Member
2014 5.0 auto

so I’m running e85 too and I’ve been for quite sometime now. My plugs are around 35,000 miles old and they’ve been raced on pretty hard.

today I did a big pull 70-140 and at 140 my CEL started to flash I’ve never seen the car throw a CEL until today. I let of throttle and check all my sensors for temps and what not, all good. Then I do some light pulls car felt normal. I park it let it sit and listen. Don’t hear a thing sounds normal. I then pop the hood check around and I see nothing of concern.

I rarely ever do a big pull but I do sometimes in the mornings to work on Saturdays.
But the CEL flashing obviously went away? I’m assuming it means missfire. I’m a Chrysler Tech so I’m not all inclined very much on fords computers and stuff like that.

what should be my next step from here?

Austin Brian

Established Member
Your a tech so you have to know significantly more than I do, but wouldn’t you want to read the code?

Probably just a stored code at this point of a miss fire but I just wanted to ask the forums on what direction people took that had this issue. I could hook it up to a code reader but it won't tell much like it would at a dealer. For FIAT we have these witech pods that show a bunch of info but not compatible with other Makers, If I had access to a Ford Pod I would for sure plug it in but a regular reader will prob just tell me what I expect to find. Not much help ya know. But I guess it won't hurt to check.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Your a tech so you have to know significantly more than I do, but wouldn’t you want to read the code?

Definitely try and read the codes, even if you are 100% sure what it is..............VERIFY it.

If you suspect plugs, pull and inspect them or just replace them. A bolt on naturally aspirated car should be able to run plugs way longer than 35k miles. Do you know what plugs you are running (copper, platinum, iridium)? If you are using copper plugs you will have to change those every 10k miles or so.

railroad

Established Member
I was getting some spark retard on some dyno pulls. I was correctly advised all pump gas is junk. I added a splash of Octanium and all is well. It did not take much to clean up the dyno pulls.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Definitely read the codes. But at 35k miles pull those plugs read them for each cylinder and replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread