READ FIRST: The Lowdown on Worthwhile Basic Mods for 96-98 Cobra, sticky please

Status
Not open for further replies.

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
bzubke1 said:
Someone needs to do a write up for the 5.0 cobra's
A good H/C/I combo...3:73-4:10 gears(dependant upon power level) .......most of the rest will apply to 5.0's as well as far as general bolt-ons

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
1996_Snake said:
you know, if you make a thread for everything like this, these forums will become useless.
no one would need to post anymore, they would just have to read.
not to mention, that would affect beaing able to post, and increase your post count....

BTW rippin you should never post again, your post count is the year of your car!

:lol: After this post it's the year of somebody elses. lol.

In reference to your other comment, I disagree. Sure, this may cut down the number of posts overall, but it gives people a solid database for information, versus waiting on answers or trying to track down info. Plus, if everybody gives good input, we can have a solid list of products and parts that will ultimately save people time/effort/money and make everybody's cars run that much better. There's a lot of people out there (I don't mean in this forum per say, just everywhere) that give faulty advice and can end up making somebody spend money on the wrong stuff.

Oh, and I'll add some suspension tech here soon, and take NVENEM8U's stuff into account, as well as some stuff about subframes. Ma' fingerz is be tarr'd right now.

Last edited:

Jaxon

Established Member
After reading this, anyone want to buy my bbk intake or my bbk TB? hehe. Sounds like I need to get rid of some parts I have to go for some better parts. Next up is tune, I put down 270whp with every bolt on and no tune, hopefully ill get to well over 280whp then its time for some spray :)

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I bought a 94, so this thread doesn't really apply to me. I have one question though, do bigger TB's actually show HP gains on the 5.0's like you said?

lol, sorry for asking.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
busta said:
I bought a 94, so this thread doesn't really apply to me. I have one question though, do bigger TB's actually show HP gains on the 5.0's like you said?

lol, sorry for asking.

Yes, but only if it's needed. You never wanna go too big or too small, there is a perfect balance you must find that stems from engine-displacement, compression, RPM-rnage, cam choice, etc. When you open up one thing (say, the intake manifold) the constriction moves to another part, like the heads or TB for instance. The trick is to find a combo that will flow a lot of air, but also at the highest-velocity possible to increase cylinder-filling and efficiency. On a stock 94 Cobra, the gains probably aren't worth the money YET, but if you add a larger TB to a nice H/C/I combo, you could see very nice gains. It's all about finding that perfect equilibrium of flow and velocity. I think with the stock heads and intake, the stock 65mm TB will be fine. What else is done to the car? The 4.6 DOHC TB's flow a ton stock, so we have no real need to change them.

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
I'll be making some more installments regarding suspension tech and rearend tech in the near future, so stay tuned.

Thanks,
Kyle
now thats funny.:D

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
only beef I have is the recommendation of FMS shorties. FMS shorties are designed so that the tubes still come together before the collector. Basically its still a log style manifold. The only way to go with shorties is a set of JBA's

heres what I mean.

FRPP
36_1_b.JPG

jba
jba1625s7jt.jpg

Last edited:

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Point taken quadcammer, I forgot about JBA's. The only shorties I could think of were the FMS's, I'll change that.

Gringo, Hurst make pretty good shifters as well, I'll add them to the list.

Thanks for the props guys, keep the suggestions coming!

gtowncobra

Established Member
just trying to keep this alive great write up, must become a sticky!!!

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
:lol: After this post it's the year of somebody elses. lol.

In reference to your other comment, I disagree. Sure, this may cut down the number of posts overall, but it gives people a solid database for information, versus waiting on answers or trying to track down info. Plus, if everybody gives good input, we can have a solid list of products and parts that will ultimately save people time/effort/money and make everybody's cars run that much better. There's a lot of people out there (I don't mean in this forum per say, just everywhere) that give faulty advice and can end up making somebody spend money on the wrong stuff.

Oh, and I'll add some suspension tech here soon, and take NVENEM8U's stuff into account, as well as some stuff about subframes. Ma' fingerz is be tarr'd right now.
Thanks for the props .....just contributing what I know.....bump for the sticky

mystical

Established Member
Good write up. Like Rippin said, TB and MAF are a waste of money on a stock bore/stroke NA 4.6.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
Rippin, may also want to add something about an 03/04 blower on the B heads..... I dont EVER want to see that question come up again. Even though its not a basic mod, some people may see a blower as being that way (depending on mechanical ability and the size of their bank account)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread