Read before buying MMR head cooling mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hector C

Established Member
I few months back I bought the MMR head cooling mod for my cobra, one of the more expensive options out there. When trying to install the kit I soon found out that the bolts supplied were too long so I had to buy some shorter ones. Also, nowhere did the description for the kit ever say that the coolant tube bracket had to be cut back so that the left adapter could be installed. I had my engine out so that wasn't a problem for me but it might be for someone trying to install this kit on an engine thats installed. Next up the crossover hose was too short and wouldn't reach the right adapter, therefore I had to buy a longer hose.
In no way am I trying to bash MMR, at the end it's a great kit but I just wish that the description of the kit was more accurate and that the hardware would at least be correct.
20190425_225113.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
I appreciate the info, I was considering either this or the wonder racing version in a couple weeks.

Wonder racing shows their part installed on a pulled engine as well but it’s a long block with just the mod installed and nothing else to show how it meshes with the rest of the stuff on the back.

Cobra engineering doesn’t even do that for you, their photo is just the parts on a table lol

Like how hard is it to grab a photo of it on a running setup?

Last edited:

olympic

Established Member
I bent the coolant tube bracket and put it on top the HCM. My bolts were also too long for the HCM and the rear seal carrier. I got a chuckle out of their claim that the hoses do not need clamps. You can assemble them and pul them apart by hand and they would blow apart the first time the system was pressurized. I used AN hoses for the crossover and installed clamps on the heater core fitting.

The few items I've bought from them seem to be well made but a little more R&D needs to be done in certain areas.

20190424_130656.jpg

Hector C

Established Member
I appreciate the info, I was considering either this or the wonder racing version in a couple weeks.

Wonder racing shows their part installed on a pulled engine as well but it’s a long block with just the mod installed and nothing else to show how meshes with the rest of the stuff on the back.

Cobra engineering doesn’t even do that for you, their photo is just the parts on a table lol

Like how hard is it to grab a photo of it on a running setup?
Well with the trans in if i remember correctly its impossible. You can barely peek at the adapters from up top with the blower in.

Hector C

Established Member
I bent the coolant tube bracket and put it on top the HCM. My bolts were also too long for the HCM and the rear seal carrier. I got a chuckle out of their claim that the hoses do not need clamps. You can assemble them and pul them apart by hand and they would blow apart the first time the system was pressurized. I used AN hoses for the crossover and installed clamps on the heater core fitting.

The few items I've bought from them seem to be well made but a little more R&D needs to be done in certain areas.

View attachment 1588875
Yea some more R&D for sure. I also put clamps on the hoses, i was not going to trust those fittings. I forgot to put the hose in before i put the engine and blower in and man was it hard getting the hose and clamps in lol

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
Well with the trans in if i remember correctly its impossible. You can barely peek at the adapters from up top with the blower in.

Yeah but they could certainly take a photo of a fully assembled motor with the mod. Or even a recently installed mod with the motor in and trans still out. There’s only a few things back there that could get in the way:

1. Steel coolant pipe in the valley
2. Connection to trans harness from motor harness
3. Hose from the bottom of the intake to the back of blower(maybe but doubtful)

this is assuming the egr pipe is deleted because I believe that’s a must.

In my case I have the egr and that vacuum hose deleted, so I just have to worry about the steel pipe and the harness.

de39c0173dd5d86051da97621f9ae07a.jpg

I want a photo like that, but with the mod installed(with EGR obviously deleted).

Hector C

Established Member
Yeah but they could certainly take a photo of a fully assembled motor with the mod. Or even a recently installed mod with the motor in and trans still out. There’s only a few things back there that could get in the way:

1. Steel coolant pipe in the valley
2. Connection to trans harness from motor harness
3. Hose from the bottom of the intake to the back of blower(maybe but doubtful)

this is assuming the egr pipe is deleted because I believe that’s a must.

In my case I have the egr and that vacuum hose deleted, so I just have to worry about the steel pipe and the harness.

View attachment 1588908

I want a photo like that, but with the mod installed(with EGR obviously deleted).
MMR claims that you just have to bend it a but but again when its in the car with the trans in that might be a hard time. As far as the coolant pipe once I cut the mounting tab back i didnt have any issue with it nor with the trans connector. If i find the time to get under the car I'll try and post up a pic of it installed.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought the same kit you bought a couple of years ago and the hose they sent to cross between the two heads was 3” too short. The first and probably the last thing I have or will ever buy from MMR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hector C

Established Member
I bought the same kit you bought a couple of years ago and the hose they sent to cross between the two heads was 3” too short. The first and probably the last thing I have or will ever buy from MMR.

Wow Im surprised MMR hasn't corrected that issue. Pretty sad that they can't offer the right hardware, it's not that hard to give the correct hose.

theparker

Established Member
Why not just put some in the freeze plugs on top of the head?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I realize MMR seems to have a love em or hate em following here. In their defense though I don’t think you should post a complaint about a company if you didn’t even contact them about an issue. However I also know that a lot of people have had issues with other things and DID reach out to them with no help. Still personally I would have to call them regarding the issue and give them a chance to fix it. If then they do nothing then post and bash away!

No real world instructions or pictures of a fully installed and running motor is ridiculous.
I bought one of the LDC cooling mods way back in the early days of the Terminator and they included step by step instructions with pictures of how to do a real world installation.

Ken

Last edited:

theparker

Established Member
a744c7dc5ae8484d23830a5ba979a342.jpg

Cost me like $40 from a guy on the Marauder forum. Didn’t care about them being pretty cause they are fictional don’t leak and you don’t see them anyways.

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
I realize MMR seems to have a love em or hate em following here. In their defense though I don’t think you should post a complaint about a company if you didn’t even contact them about an issue. However I also know that a lot of people have had issues with other things and DID reach out to them with no help. Still personally I would have to call them regarding the issue and give them a chance to fix it. If then they do nothing then post and bash away!

No real world instructions or pictures of a fully installed and running motor is ridiculous.
I bought one of the LDC cooling mods way back in the early days of the Terminator and they included step by step instructions with pictures of how to do a real world installation.

Ken

Right? They’re just like heyyyy here’s the part, it goes here, if you have any issues well.....have fun.

I only had one issue with MMR and it was when I ordered some timing chains and they sent me crank bolts instead of cam bolts. They quickly rectified it and sent me the cam bolts without asking for the crank bolts back.....

so If anybody needs a new crank bolt....I have 4 OEM spares unused sitting in a baggie.

Hector C

Established Member

Ken
That would be the correct thing to do I just never got to it cuz I was so focused on meeting the deadline for my car to be done. As soon as i can i will try and contact them and let them know that there's plenty of us with these issues. Other and than that the kit has been working great.

Hector C

Established Member
Why not just put some in the freeze plugs on top of the head?

I've heard that the one behind the head is a bit better since that's deeper down in the head closer to the exhaust. No real proof of which is better but as long as one is in there that's what matters. Definitely the one on top of the head is a lot easier to install with the engine in the car.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
That would be the correct thing to do I just never got to it cuz I was so focused on meeting the deadline for my car to be done. As soon as i can i will try and contact them and let them know that there's plenty of us with these issues. Other and than that the kit has been working great.

It’s “because.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread