Reaction time ?

hoghunter

Get The Phone
Established Member
Just wanted to clear this up, I believe when drag racing at the track the reaction time has nothing to do with the ET. Is this correct. I have believed that the timer doesn't begin until the car trips it, whether you sit there for five minutes or whatever. Can anybody clear this up. :shrug:

REPCobra10

Established Member
Your beliefs are absolutely correct sir! The timer doesn't begin until you trip the beam with your front tires.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Is the "perfect" reaction time .400?

I don't remember seeing a red light on a pass that my time slip read .217 as my reaction time...

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
they have changed the light from a perfect.500
it is now .000 is perfect.

the reaction time for fun racing doesnt matter at all, like stated above.
but if you get into bracket racing then it matters.

so if you normally pull a .250 light and you run 13.0 when your fun racing.

if you were to bracket race you would want to set your et at 13.25 or a bit less just incase you get a better light so you dont break out.

J

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
+1
The reaction time only matters in bracket racing and heads up racing. If you out thier to T&T, and try to get your best time slip, don't worrie about the lights, focus on getting a great launch. You can sit on a green light for 20 seconds, and still run a 12 sec 1/4 mile. but you'll look like a tool. lol Later Bro.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
no_slow_svt said:
so if you normally pull a .250 light and you run 13.0 when your fun racing.

if you were to bracket race you would want to set your et at 13.25 or a bit less just incase you get a better light so you dont break out.

J
If you run 13.0 with a .250 RT and change your dial to 13.25 and cut a good light and run 13.0 you did break out.
You'd better be good on brakes and watching the stripe.

Never change your dial to compensate for RT.
Dial what you think it will run and go for a good RT.
JMO, and it's gotten me to more semi-final rounds than I can count. (With a 5speed car at that.)

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
If you run 13.0 with a .250 RT and change your dial to 13.25 and cut a good light and run 13.0 you did break out.
You'd better be good on brakes and watching the stripe.

Never change your dial to compensate for RT.
Dial what you think it will run and go for a good RT.
JMO, and it's gotten me to more semi-final rounds than I can count. (With a 5speed car at that.)

i think i kinda covered that, but if you best run ever on a test and tune night is a 13.0 and your best RT ever was .250 then i wouldnt put down a 13.0 as my dial in time. no way.
i personally would put down like 13.1 just to be safe
thats just me.
would you rather break out by a tenth then get beat by a tenth for cutting a .4 light
i guess its just comes down to how you feel about it.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
no_slow_svt said:
i think i kinda covered that, but if you best run ever on a test and tune night is a 13.0 and your best RT ever was .250 then i wouldnt put down a 13.0 as my dial in time. no way.
i personally would put down like 13.1 just to be safe
thats just me.
would you rather break out by a tenth then get beat by a tenth for cutting a .4 light
i guess its just comes down to how you feel about it.
Yes, I pretty much agree.
That's the great thing about bracket racing, It's knowing your car and what it and you can do.
I could tell by the temp gauge and outside air temp what the car would run, If best TnT was 13.0 and I got a hour cool down and temps dropped 10deg. I'd be dialing 12.9?

But never would I factor RT into dial.
I'd rather get beat by .1 off the line than break out by .1
That way I knew I got beat by the driver.
Break out was a rare event, I knew the stripe and how to hit brakes if I had it won. lol

HalfTime

Established Member
Ummm, may be I'm jsut retarded here but...

Why the hell would you factor in reation time on your dial in? Your reaction time has nothing to do with you E.T. If you running 13.00, and he is running 13.10 dail in, both have a .500 reaction time. they stage the lights so he leave .10 befor you. You both cross the same time. That's whare cutting a good light comes to play. If you cut a .500 and he cuts a .600. then you just won by a tenth. And guess what. If both dial ins are 13.00, and you and him sit at the tree for 3 seconds, then look at each other, nod and go. You will still run a 13.00.

All your dial in is from the time you trip the lights to the time you trip the lights. Bracket raceing is about consistantly running the same time to keep playing, and cutting the best reaction time to win.

Reaction time has NOTHING to do with your E.T. It only determines who gets a "head start"

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
HalfTime said:
Ummm, may be I'm jsut retarded here but...

Why the hell would you factor in reation time on your dial in? Your reaction time has nothing to do with you E.T. If you running 13.00, and he is running 13.10 dail in, both have a .500 reaction time. they stage the lights so he leave .10 befor you. You both cross the same time. That's whare cutting a good light comes to play. If you cut a .500 and he cuts a .600. then you just won by a tenth. And guess what. If both dial ins are 13.00, and you and him sit at the tree for 3 seconds, then look at each other, nod and go. You will still run a 13.00.

All your dial in is from the time you trip the lights to the time you trip the lights. Bracket raceing is about consistantly running the same time to keep playing, and cutting the best reaction time to win.

Reaction time has NOTHING to do with your E.T. It only determines who gets a "head start"

its true but not true.

in a perfect world if you guys (no matter what your dial in is) run a perfect run you should end up at the finish line at the exact same time. no matter if your dialed in at 9 secs or 18 secs
in real world reaction time is the main factor in bracket racing.

so your statment was pretty much on till the last statement.

bracket racing comes down to reaction time and being consistant during your run.

J

Last edited:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
actually now that i read yours again, yes you do make sense.

u just meant your et determines who leaves first. not your reaction time.

i guess i do see what your saying now. looks like im the retarded one.
or just over thinking it.

J

HalfTime

Established Member
lol, at first I was like what do you mean I was right on to the last statment, we are agreeing... lol I just have a hard time puting down what I'm trying to say. But yea, I think we understand eachother perfictly now.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread