Re: 99 and up cobra's, How about a different thermostat's anyone try this yet?

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Has anyone try this yet with anyluck. I hear you can just like the old school 5.0's to get allittle cooler running engine. The next step would be controlling the electric fan. I've heard that when you get a chip burned, you can get it custom made to have the fan come on at 180° and stay on longer than the factory length of time. Any help with this guys?:rolling:

Coop

XTreme Tech
Established Member
I was unsuccessful in finding a suitable replacement.

The factory unit is rated at 188 degrees, opening fully by 194 or so. Aftermarket 180 degree units are available, but if you compare the factory unit with aftermarket units, like Stant or Hypertech, you'll discover that the radiator bypass circuit valve is a bit smaller in diameter on the aftermarket units. This of course allows more un-cooled water to bypass the radiator, raising the operating temps.

I ended up modifying the factory unit to open up sooner and so far, it has worked. I'm planning on also modifying the bypass valve, in order to restrict hot water flow through the bypass circuit and divert it back through the radiator. Not an issue for n/a cars, but a must IMO for supercharged applications running in the heat of the summer.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
?

Now I'm confused? You mean to tell me that the computer is sending coolant thats just been in the motor back in again (to heat the motor quickier?)? It doesn't run a one path direction? Lets eleminate the bypass valve and use the thermostat like the 5.0's? I really don't know how this work? Ok lets say we can figure out the direct flow problem, what about the fan time controls? :idea:

Coop

XTreme Tech
Established Member
The PCM doesn't control the water flow. That is all mechanical, handled by the t-stat. One side of the t-stat opens up the flow through the radiator and the other end regulates the radiator by-pass flow. You have to have some by-pass flow, in order to warm up the engine and keep it warm. Too much will make it run hotter though. That's what the aftermarket t-stat's end up doing.

More airflow through the radiator is also the key. Adding an extra fan, adding a fan switch for the factory fan and resetting the on/off points via a chip will also make a definite difference in cooling.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
It sound like the computer will regulate the temp going into the engine at a certain temp regardless the radiator temp. Therefore allowing new colder coolant in and keeping it there till is gets to hot. How do we change that glich - maybe a chip will allow the gates (funny) to open sooner and more offen with the fan coming on long and sooner.:??: :??: :??:

Users who are viewing this thread