Raxiom Navigation System

ticopowell

Newish to SVT
Established Member
Various places... CA, UT, OK, been in TX and CO a
From what I can tell (I don't have one, but I have done a few normal radio installs) it is a very easy plug and play system that you shouldn't be worried about doing.
If you want to be extremely careful you can take pictures after each step just in case you don't like it and want to reinstall the old system. I personally would want a more expandable system which is why I have a pioneer system in my car.

RC-5.0

Established Member
From what I can tell (I don't have one, but I have done a few normal radio installs) it is a very easy plug and play system that you shouldn't be worried about doing.
If you want to be extremely careful you can take pictures after each step just in case you don't like it and want to reinstall the old system. I personally would want a more expandable system which is why I have a pioneer system in my car.

More info on the Pioneer?
Thanks

lshin037

Established Member
I have this system installed and the install was pretty easy. The most time consuming task is installing the backup camera between the two license plate lights and then running the wire to the dash. You're going to have to drill a hole in one of the plastic light enclosures to run the wire through. I chose this over other aftermarket systems due to the price (it's the cheapest considering it's got a backup camera and all the wire harnesses needed for the install), OEM look, and ease of install. As far as user experiences, there are some pros and cons.

PROS: camera is pretty good (visible day and night), retains all the SYNC functions, has an extra AV port for other inputs.

CONS: Sometimes the system will freeze during navigation. It happened twice since the 7 months I had it. When listening to tunes from my iphone through usb, it'll cut off. Not sure if it's the Raxiom or my iphone. Again, this happens once in a while. You cannot change the background to a custom image.

I would love to switch to a pioneer unit with the carplay function but all the mounting hardware available for the mustangs place the display down low right by the shift knob.

BadHabit2Break

Established Member
I have the Raxiom unit as well.

It is basically a front end touchscreen for the OEM system with adding an extra AUX port for audio and video.

It took me a couple of hours to put in, but is very nice. I bought mine on Black Friday sale for just over $500.

I dont have any of the freezing issues as stated above.

AMAlexLazarus

AmericanMuscle.com
http://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-gps-nav-1014.html

Anyone Know of someone who got this? Experiences?

I would like to get this, but I would rather pay a shop to do it. I have a some really good performance shops by me but IDK if they would install this thing too.

RC

Hey RC - That's a great question and having been present for more than a handful of installs it's a breeze! The one thing that I found to be slightly difficult just had lshin037 said is running the lines for the backup camera. Once that's set up it's really smooth sailing from there. The Raxiom OE-Style GPS/Navigation is something I think should've come right from Ford and I'm always scratching my head how Raxiom managed to beat them to the punch on this! If you haven't seen our review on it check out the video below along with some reviews!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU7WdHr6N_k

raxiomnavcapture_zpsa64fff47.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions about this and I'm here to help!

Alex

^^This! If you've pulled a head unit before, are mechanically inclined and can set aside a few hours early on a Saturday morning I don't think it would take any longer than 2-2 1/2 hours to get this installed!

I have this system installed and the install was pretty easy. The most time consuming task is installing the backup camera between the two license plate lights and then running the wire to the dash. You're going to have to drill a hole in one of the plastic light enclosures to run the wire through. I chose this over other aftermarket systems due to the price (it's the cheapest considering it's got a backup camera and all the wire harnesses needed for the install), OEM look, and ease of install. As far as user experiences, there are some pros and cons.

PROS: camera is pretty good (visible day and night), retains all the SYNC functions, has an extra AV port for other inputs.

CONS: Sometimes the system will freeze during navigation. It happened twice since the 7 months I had it. When listening to tunes from my iphone through usb, it'll cut off. Not sure if it's the Raxiom or my iphone. Again, this happens once in a while. You cannot change the background to a custom image.

Hey lshin037 - Thanks a lot for taking the time to have this review posted up, I appreciate it! I'm sorry to hear about the issues that it's having freezing but if it's still persisting over time please don't hesitate to let me know and I'm happy to work/mediate between you and Raxiom to have the unit replaced if you'd like!

I have the Raxiom unit as well.

It is basically a front end touchscreen for the OEM system with adding an extra AUX port for audio and video.

It took me a couple of hours to put in, but is very nice. I bought mine on Black Friday sale for just over $500.

I dont have any of the freezing issues as stated above.

Hey BadHabit2Break - I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying yours too! I think it's really clean and again I'm not sure how or why Ford didn't have something like this installed in the first place!

If anyone has any questions at all don't hesitate to let me know, I'm always around to help!

Alex​

lshin037

Established Member
Hey lshin037 - Thanks a lot for taking the time to have this review posted up, I appreciate it! I'm sorry to hear about the issues that it's having freezing but if it's still persisting over time please don't hesitate to let me know and I'm happy to work/mediate between you and Raxiom to have the unit replaced if you'd like!

Thanks Alex. I'll keep an eye on it. The freezing during navigation hasn't happen again since I did a complete reboot of the system. The USB SYNC cutting off has been on and off. I'll let you know if it continues.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've always thought that kit was a really good looking upgrade. I've just never had the chance to play with one in a car.

NoVA_Mike

Established Member
RC... Have you considered waiting until summer to see what the CarPlay or AndroidAuto compatible headunits are going to be like? I'm actually waiting for that instead. I think those are going to blow the Raxiom setup out of the water for around the same price.

ticopowell

Newish to SVT
Established Member
More info on the Pioneer?
Thanks

The pioneer I have is a AVIC-z130bt, I bought it in 2011 and I haven't had any issues with it except for the old maps, there are 2 newer versions, the 140 and the 150, but they don't make any of those anymore to my understanding. But any of their higher end units will work great. It is a more involved install but the top end new units have a lot of features that you can add on, such as the backup camera (didn't need to drill any holes to install mine, ran the wires next to the licence plate lights and through a gromet into the trunk), they can have satellite radio, HD radio, navigation, most now have iphone and android integration for hands free use. Also they will all have RCA outs so you can add amplifiers for speakers or subwoofers if you want them.

The downside is the price, for what the raxiom costs you won't really be able to match most of the features but if you want more than what the raxiom offers it is worth the extra cost. Kenwood also has nice units as well as many other manufacturers but Ive had good luck with Pioneer so far.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Boy, Im REALLY confused now! I would like to see some links for the units that are compatible for those that stated Pioneer and Kenwood. What is the CARPLAY and other that you refer to coming out in the summer?
RC

RC-5.0

Established Member
Android Auto: http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/25/5843760/hands-on-with-android-auto-video
CarPlay by Apple:http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/17/5622144/apple-carplay-hands-on

It depends on what phone system you use. Head units for each should be on the shelf this summer according to the rumors.

I don't really care about this system too much. I don't necessarily need the panel to be controlled with my phone, although the idea is nice. I want a system that looks factory, fairly simple to install and works with the factory wiring.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Hey RC - That's a great question and having been present for more than a handful of installs it's a breeze! The one thing that I found to be slightly difficult just had lshin037 said is running the lines for the backup camera. Once that's set up it's really smooth sailing from there. The Raxiom OE-Style GPS/Navigation is something I think should've come right from Ford and I'm always scratching my head how Raxiom managed to beat them to the punch on this! If you haven't seen our review on it check out the video below along with some reviews!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU7WdHr6N_k

raxiomnavcapture_zpsa64fff47.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions about this and I'm here to help!

Alex

I do have another question...How can you get me a discount on this :)

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
RC-5.0
There have been several of these systems sold on eBay recently, with open box or minor blemish for $500 or less (or more when all the idiots go to bidding)
I've been eyeing one myself . The last one I watched sold for like $480 with free shipping. I don't know who sells it, but I'd guess it's AM selling them as many of the items say they were used for pictorials, video's or fitment.

ticopowell

Newish to SVT
Established Member
I don't really care about this system too much. I don't necessarily need the panel to be controlled with my phone, although the idea is nice. I want a system that looks factory, fairly simple to install and works with the factory wiring.

With mine the phone is connected, but unless I am listening to something through the phone or making a phone call it doesn't actually do anything. I also have an ipod connected so I can listen to music that way as well.

The features that I like and use are the Nav (a little easier than holding my phone, but a good phone mount could negate this need), Bluetooth phone calls (last car didn't have this, but this car has sync so it isn't necessary), and I have a fully custom sound system installed so I use the RCA outs (This is the biggest reason for me to get an aftermarket head unit, I can run the amps from standard speaker inputs but they sound better this way in my opinion). If I wanted to do satellite radio I have that option but it would cost $100 for the box plus the subscription... but some include the sat radio option already so the subscription is all the extra. The backup camera is also very useful in our cars, and the hardest part of those are running the wires.

The benefit of phones hooking up with the new systems is that with the phone nav app it always has updated nav apps (google maps and whatnot) so it should be accurate and possibly more future proof.

What kind of stock look do you want? Stock Nav radios have a huge screen, and with a good install the aftermarket ones look very good in the dash.
Here is my pioneer

The raxiom does sound like a great option for what you want from a system, nav and backup camera.

Keep asking questions if you have any and Ill try and help as much as I can... on the install or picking the right system for you.

For the American Muscle discount just PM any AM guy and they should be able to PM you back with the code.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Thanks Ticopowell. I like the fact that the Raxiom is UP high on the bezel and I can still use the stock A/C Knobs.

ticopowell

Newish to SVT
Established Member
For a higher up screen they have the maestro system which is what I would go with next time.
http://maestro.idatalink.com/compatible-radios
Kenwood and Alpine units control everything through the radio, just like the factory nav system on my dad's truck, not sure if it's the same on the mustangs. Pioneer will have just the standard radio features with that system, that is mainly because of pioneer not wanting to integrate too much with that system for whatever reason.

There is a list of radios that are compatible with their fancy systems, but just their bezel puts the radio higher... I agree it looks and probably works better. Also I think the knobs are not the stock ones, they just look like the stock ones but I'm not 100% sure on that part.

Users who are viewing this thread