Rav4 Prime vs 2001 Mustang GT

mustangbee

Established Member
Both cars are ours and stock. I've had the stang almost half a year. Did 3 quick runs last night, and the rav4 won both of them from a dig and the roll race from 40mph.

Kinda surprised me honestly because the dig runs weren't that close, at 2 cars lengths. Roll was abt half car for prime but we let out quick and my stang was very slowly pulling. Both are pretty slow compared to modern fast cars and it's not
terribly exciting but it's the first time I'd raced anything in years.
Also, the Rav4 prime is going 7 weeks on the same tank of gas daily driving daily. Lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I read the thread title and envisioned a regular RAV4 racing a 2001 Mustang GT. Got more surprised when I read the Prime won both races. I'm like, WUT? So I Googled RAV4 Prime and BAM, realized we're talking about a hybrid. And one of the quickest Toyota vehicles made. 0 to 60 in about 5 seconds! I had to read that twice to be sure I didn't misread it. So tell me more about your Prime. How do you like it? Is yours the SE or XSE?

mustangbee

Established Member
I read the thread title and envisioned a regular RAV4 racing a 2001 Mustang GT. Got more surprised when I read the Prime won both races. I'm like, WUT? So I Googled RAV4 Prime and BAM, realized we're talking about a hybrid. And one of the quickest Toyota vehicles made. 0 to 60 in about 5 seconds! I had to read that twice to be sure I didn't misread it. So tell me more about your Prime. How do you like it? Is yours the SE or XSE?

We like it alot! We got the SE because after researching it we felt the extra cash to benefit ratio wasn't there for the XSE. There just isnt much more to it for 10+ grand.
Ours came in at under 40k but we get a 7500k tax rebate. So for a quick, ultra economical, nice AWD SUV, 32k isn't too bad. We were already going to get the regular XSE hybrid that was 36k, so why not go for the faster, even more economical version? Lol
It's really roomy and is just fun to drive. The battery also has a 150k warranty and it being a Toyota reliability is there.

So we plug it in to a 240v. Takes about 5.7 hours for a full charge. You can also use a 120v for about 10 hours. That gets us abt 44 miles on full electric on average. Zero gas. What's cool is that you can not charge it at all and it's a normal car, and it still gets about 40mpg that way and the battery can charge on it's on using the brakes.
So overall you get the advantage of about 500+ miles of range and you can just drive it like a normal car and put gas in it and it's just a 40mpg suv. Or, you can be super economical like us, charge it all the time and rarely use gas at all plus have a little fun. Dash has never shown us under 70mpg... in a 4500lbs suv lol

It's kinda weird driving it on full electric though. It will go all the way to 75mph all electric. If you want full power you need it in sport mode. It engages both electric and gas motors at the same time. 0-60 with only electric is about 8.2 secs. Basically it's an average car like that.
I've also beat a couple of full size trucks. A regular cab 1500 Chevy from a stop light. I even let him have the jump because I didn't know if he was serious. Not very impressive, but still. It was a v8 for sure. The passenger was laughing when I pulled by them. They were pretty young. Lol

Last edited:

mustangbee

Established Member
Any idea what kind of increase you saw in your electric bill?

Yes. It was like $20 more charging every day. I also charge at work for a couple hours here and there but that's only 120v.

The equivalent when you consider the electric cost is 92mpge is the rating I believe.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes. It was like $20 more charging every day. I also charge at work for a couple hours here and there but that's only 120v.

The equivalent when you consider the electric cost is 92mpge is the rating I believe.

So $20x30 Days?
An extra $600/month?

mustangbee

Established Member
So $20x30 Days?
An extra $600/month?

The bill was $20 more for the month but charging pretty much every day.

I would be royally pissed if my electric bill was anywhere near $600. Lol. Even a $100 more would cause me to raise an eyebrow. Most people I know use about $15-30 more in electricity per month.

Last edited:

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Curious about the $7500 rebate. Is that a federal thing or state incentive?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The bill was $20 more for the month but charging pretty much every day.

I would be royally pissed if my electric bill was anywhere near $600. Lol. Even a $100 more would cause me to raise an eyebrow. Most people I know use about $15-30 more in electricity per month.
$20 for the month to charge it every day isn't bad at all. I've got to have my wife test drive one this summer.

mustangbee

Established Member
Updates

I have a coworker with a 98 SS Camaro that he just purchased about 5 months ago(only 70k miles!) Exhaust, intake, and tune. We did a merged pull onto the freeway. He definitely pulled me but he was shocked at how close I stayed with him. I took him for a ride some days later and he was really impressed by dig pulls I did. He suggested better tires immediately and he's right.
I'm hitting mid-5s 0-60 stock, but chirping the tires with awd. So I'm definitely losing time. This thing is probably a mid 4s SUV with light mods.
I'm pretty damn economical driving it(averaging around 86mpg right now), but I definitely like playing around once in a while.
I've beaten a 350z, a Lexus SUV(no idea), Durango RT(maybe a few years old but I beat him twice), a couple of RAMs, and got smoked by on the freeway by a cobra(maybe 2014ish)

I've only talked to one person after racing, the Durango RT guy. He was definitely wanting to talk. I just told him it was a 4cyclinder(which is true) and he yelled "huh? turbo?"
I shook my head and smiled "hybrid!" He just keeps staring at my ride and talking to his friend then the light turned. He was fine just surprised. I was surprised too actually because I let him have the punch and reeled him in from a dig pretty convincingly after beating him pretty badly before. I actually instigated that one just out of curiosity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread