"Rattling" sound

adefoor

Established Member
I recently purchased a 2001 Cobra and there is a rattling sound coming from the front/front right of the car when I drive over bumps in the road. It definitely doesn't sound normal. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what this might be. It's coming from under the hood, not in the cab. I know this is very vague, but I'm looking for ideas before I get professional help. :)

Thanks for any advice.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
anti-rattle clips in your breaks?

adefoor

Established Member
Thanks for all of the replies. There actually are a few squeaks but I am confident I can hunt them down this weekend.

The sound I am talking about is more of a rattling noise, I guess that's the best way to describe it. It only happens on bumps and imperfections in the road. Someone else suggested it could be the brakes moving so I will check that out.

I appreciate the quick replies.

adefoor

Established Member
Someone made a suggestion for me to ride the brakes when I go over bumps again, so I tried that and the sound didn't happen so it looks like it's the brakes.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'm a new member here and have found a lot of value and information already.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Dang all you guys in North Ga. with New Edge Cobras! There are no NE Snakes down in South Ga. where I'm at! Hey maybe we could all meet up at Summitt, just let me know.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

rcstang

Established Member
im having the same problem with my breaks i went to ford and they were to stupi d to figure it out so i went and look at my buddys 01. there is only one pin that runs threw the break caliper. its supose to have a clip on the end o fit and mine is does not and my buddys 01 one does. i need to go to for and get that clip. i missing it on both sides of mine look for the pin if the clip isnt there then thats your problem im pretty shore. thers a bolt on the other side of the pin so it wont fall out but. even if im wqrong about the clip i have the same problem as you if it starts to rattle i just bearly toch the breaks and it tights the break witch stops the caliper from wiggleing, it sound like complete ass thow. good luck

adefoor

Established Member
I figured out what the noise is, but haven't fixed it. Our calipers only have 1 pin holding it in place on the side that doesn't have the pin the calipers are able to move. I havent found a solution for this yet, but I atleast know my car isnt falling apart. :) rcstang, mine doesn't have the clip you are talking about so I assume that's my problem.

The noise is very annoying.

cobraetti, I am probably going to Barber for Mustang week.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Dang all you guys in North Ga. with New Edge Cobras! There are no NE Snakes down in South Ga. where I'm at! Hey maybe we could all meet up at Summitt, just let me know.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Even though I'm not on the board nearly as much as I used to be, I'm not opposed to the drive to Summitt. I haven't seen that place yet anyways...

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I am probably going to Barber for Mustang week.

Is that Barber Motorsports Park? If so, when is it? I've got to look into this one. I went to BMP for Mustang Club of America's meet a couple of years ago.

Edit: OK, I found out that Mustang 45th Anniversary Celebration is at BMP 16Apr-19Apr09. Anyone going?

Also -- to the OP: I'll search through some of my car stuff to see if I can find some anti-rattle clips. My pads came w/them but I kept my stock ones since the stock ones have the rubber pieces in them (I think to add some additional sound dampening). I'll let you know if I find them.

Last edited:

adefoor

Established Member
Edit: OK, I found out that Mustang 45th Anniversary Celebration is at BMP 16Apr-19Apr09. Anyone going?

Also -- to the OP: I'll search through some of my car stuff to see if I can find some anti-rattle clips. My pads came w/them but I kept my stock ones since the stock ones have the rubber pieces in them (I think to add some additional sound dampening). I'll let you know if I find them.

I am about 70% sure I am going to go to Barber for the 45th Anniversary Celebration.

Thanks for looking, but I was able to fix it. You can see what I did to fix the rattling sound here

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread