Rattling sound/Ticking from under car

Svtcobra188

Established Member
Hey guys, just purchased another DSG Cobra, now I have 2 :burnout: I knew going into it there was this sound. But it sounds like a faint tapping/rattling sound. Probably an exhaust leak im guessing

Last edited by a moderator:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Any upgrades to the clutch or other T56 components? A few years ago I had my stock flywheel ring go bad causing a crazy rattling sound. The head tick is often on the drivers side. Try to get a video, my bet is it's clutch, flywheel, TOB, or TOB sleeve related. But it could also be something that came loose causing a rattle. Check around under there, exhaust, 02 sensors loose, ect.

Svtcobra188

Established Member
Noting done to clutch, as far as I know. But I deff will get a video. Like I said Cant hear it standing over the engine, its clearest from under car. Let the investigation begin haha

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Then it's not the throw out bearing or fly wheel. Maybe slight exhaust leak? I have had this happen a couple times and it sounds exactly like valve train noise.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Then it's not the throw out bearing or fly wheel. Maybe slight exhaust leak? I have had this happen a couple times and it sounds exactly like valve train noise.

What do you mean NOT flywheel? My flywheel rattled with clutch pedal in or out.

Svtcobra188

Established Member
Not as loud the last couple days, but gonna get the stethoscope out and try and see where its coming from

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
What do you mean NOT flywheel? My flywheel rattled with clutch pedal in or out.

Then your's is screwed up. There should be no rattling or squeaking sounds coming from the trans

Svtcobra188

Established Member
Bump any other suggestions? Still waiting on stethoscope. And working crazy hours haven't had time to check it out but I'm off tomorrow

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
If you have a looong screwdriver or prybar then you have a stethoscope. put the tip end against the place you want to listen and the other end placed to your ear, it will work just like a stethoscope. Feel around on the heads up top. see if you can feel it. If you get it narrowed down to one side, start canceling cylinders by unplugging injectors one at a time and see if it quiets down.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Then your's is screwed up. There should be no rattling or squeaking sounds coming from the trans

Yes mine was screwed up. It was the inner flywheel rattling loose. But it did it with clutch in or out didn't matter. You simple stated above that it's NOT tob or flywheel if noise doesn't go away when pushing clutch a little.

Edit: Op doesn't sound like rattling mine had with bad flywheel, I'm just stating a bad flywheel can make noise with or without clutch pedal pushed in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread