Rattling Sound From My Cobra

2THDOC

Established Member
Have 2 weeks on my SB Cobra and 950 miles. Since day 1 I have noticed a rattling noise from 1000 to 2000 RPM. Just returned from a weekend trip to Eugene running mostly from 60 to 80 with short jaunts into triple figures. Happens hot or cold and in any gear, for certain RPM related. Any ideas. I did not order the "diamond back" option so I don't think it should be rattling.:shrug:

03DOHC

Established Member
Could you be more specific? Where does it appear to be coming from? Is the engine under load? Cruising only? Accelleration only?

2THDOC

Established Member
Thanks for the reply, Notice it from under the hood, on acceleration and while cruising. Not related to the blower as this is at 0 when I hear it. Don't notice right or left side, seems to be centered. Had a similar sound in my 86 GTI and was told it was an imbalance in the connecting rods, but went away at about 50K miles.

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I has some rattles in my car and believe it or not, they went away when I got my subframe connectors!

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by 2THDOC
Thanks for the reply, Notice it from under the hood, on acceleration and while cruising.

I wouldn't want to volunteer to test that :eek: :p (j/k)

If you hear it in the car, try moving the passenger seat all the way back and try again. If you still hear it, try putting a towell or something between the passenger seat and the passenger door. The ticking/rattle sound that comes from the passenger seat rubbing the passenger door will make you crazy. You can't tell that it comes from there at all when you hear it. It will sound like it's coming from the roof header or firewall or somewhere else. It's really hard to diagnose.

Users who are viewing this thread