Rattling at idle

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
So the last month been dealing with a couple issues. On cold start car has a light metal rattle sound. When I push the clutch in it goes away. You can hear it most in the engine bay by the passenger side firewall. Also in the car with windows down at first thought it was a vacuum leak. Not terrible with an off road pipe probably wouldn't even hear it. Car is stock except for a bassani catback and mgw shifter. I love how the car shifts even better then my old gt500 with every shift mod imaginable.

I'm 90% sure it's the input shaft so will need an upgrade to 26 spline. I don't have a lift so will have a shop do it. My question is what other mods should I have done while the trans is out?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
List so far am I missing anything?

26 spline input shaft
Ford tob
Ford pilot bearing
McLeod retainer sleeve

causajt

Established Member
Why are you sure it’s an input shaft? Rattle could be tob or pressure plate.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Why are you sure it’s an input shaft? Rattle could be tob or pressure plate.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Not sure what it was, all internals were replaced with new and sound is gone. Input shaft, retainer sleeve, bearings, clutch and flywheel etc.

Mystic03

Established Member
have you started the car and crawled under it to verify the rattle?

one of my buddies had his clutch done at a brake max by a "master tech" and he told him that it was normal... i dug into it pulled the trans and turns out he didnt replace the tob sleeve and it was busted and causing the fork to sag and rest on the dust cover

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
He fixed the rattle by replacing the input shaft, retainer sleeve, bearings, clutch and flywheel. The shotgun approach. LOL.

@NightRide, happy to hear that the rattle is gone. At least you've got a number of new parts installed that you'd have to address sooner or later.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Thanks Bob, spent a little more then I wanted to but wanted it a one in done with the trans out.

Users who are viewing this thread