Rattle from rear

mancharley

Established Member
I have an 8800-mile '95R that is mechanically just as it rolled off the assembly line. I've had the car for 7 years, and it's always had a bad rattle at the rear. I've read about a groaning or creaking or rattle from the suspension springs since there are no rubber insulators, but here's my question: I've also read that the noise "usually" goes away as one drives and parts warm up. (How springs warm is a good question.) But my noise never goes away. Secondly, how can springs rattle when there is no play at top or bottom. Yeah, I can understand a groan or creak but a rattle? Mine is a BAD rattle. I've stripped the entire interior from the seat backs on back, but that makes not difference.
Ideas?
Thanks,
Ben Schotz #29
Austin, TX

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I don’t know about a 95R specifically, but things to check are tightness on control arms, panhard bar and shocks.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
You could check to make sure the catback hasn't come loose and started making contact with the frame rail. Had that happen before where the tubing goes up and over the rear end housing. It makes a nasty rattle.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd say that a 1995 Cobra R rattled a lot when new.

There is no sound insulation so you hear everything. Rocks off the rear tires rattle in the wheels wells. The shocks and suspension make noises but no rattle.

Have you changed the rear diff fluid (any metal shavings?)? Second, I'd jack it up and use 4 jack stands. Place it in gear and crawl up under it and listen. Do you still hear it?

SLOWBRA

Established Member
My 95 has all kinds of noises in the rear. I think the folks above have covered what to check. Nothing is out of the ordinary on mine in my opinion based on the lack of insulation and being a race car so I don’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread