Ratchet shifters anyone?

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
I hope this isn't the wrong forum for this, since I placed it here because I figured that many of you who hang in this forum can be of help.....

Does anyone here use an automatic with a ratchet shifter? I've never driven a car that had one, and I'm wondering how good they work for a car that is driven on the street as well as on the dragstrip.

I'm considering a purchase of a beefed up automatic transmision with a manual valvebody, and I'm wondering what would be the best type of shifter to use. This car will be driven on the street 2 to 3 days out of the week.

Last edited:

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
I have one on a '70 Chevelle hooked to a TH400. It works great but can be a PITA to go from drive to reverse or park because of the lockout. If ya have big hands like me, ya just push the lock lever forward with your pinkie and rachet to the gear ya want.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
CharlieCobra03 said:
I have one on a '70 Chevelle hooked to a TH400. It works great but can be a PITA to go from drive to reverse or park because of the lockout. If ya have big hands like me, ya just push the lock lever forward with your pinkie and rachet to the gear ya want.
Thanks for your input. I was just looking at the B&M website, and they have certain models that are ratchet, but have a different mechanism for the reverse lockout that would be easier to put up with. The "Quicksilver" model for instance, has a shifter handle that merely needs to be lifted up to go into reverse and park. it also has a lighted gear indicator too.

Users who are viewing this thread