Random Tapping after oil change with Amsoil filter and 5w-50.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I understand how a tapping noise will make you worried as if your engine is going to die tomorrow. Truthfully, I wouldn't use 5W-50 in a NA Coyote (not even the track pack version) if it was used solely on the street. Here is my guess as to what happened.

It's unlikely to be a bad oil filter, as stated before, however not impossible. My guess, your engine just doesn't like 5W-50. I know, "but that's what Ford recommends." Still, I just wouldn't. I remember my 2014 premium GT (non-TP car) had Amsoil 5W-20 in it with the EaO17. I beat that car to DEATH racing on the street and track. After too many 40 mph street rolls to count, and 30+ 1/8 mile passes with a 7.5 second time slip it was time to sample the oil. After 10K miles, I took an oil sample. You should have seen the smile on my face.

Conclusion, lowering the viscosity of the lubricant in your engine likely corrected the issue. I would have lowered it more.

Friendly PSA, don't forget to change to that fall blend :D

View attachment 1439787

You have NO idea how hard this made me laugh. Thank you for that. ;)

Booz

Established Member
Might end up just doing what snake does oil wise with the 5w-30 since it is easier to come by. Amsoil actually has it in gallons, vs having to buy 12 pack cases of the single quarts for the 0-40 and 5-50.

I've put over a thousand miles on the car with the 0-40 since I made this thread, and it still seems perfectly content with it.

Users who are viewing this thread