Morris Minor
198d23zw79rtmjpg.jpg

Fiat 500 Topolino
198d3fkizv205jpg.jpg

Peal P50
198d6epw95ahwjpg.jpg

Zaporozhec
198d4sscoea9pjpg.jpg

Banner Boy Buckboard (the Ariel Atom of the time)
198d5y9yyymwzjpg.jpg

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I kind of want to build a Banner Boy Buckboard now.

An old friend of mine used to own a Dodge Shelby Charger. A shadow of the original Dodge Charger. Back then, the Shelby Charger was a decent "performance" car. He planned to keep it forever. THAT ended up to be maybe 5 years. LOL. I have to admit I liked it, at the time. Such was the state of automotive performance back in the '80s.

They were no muscle cars. But the Mopar Turbo I/IIs really were some of the first sport compacts. And the SRT-4 line really carried on in that tradition, even if all the attention went to the imports.

Another historic cheap car:
The Chrysler K-car. The brainchild of Lee Iacocca (of Mustang fame), it was a cheap unibody, FWD platform that went on to be used in fifty different variants, and basically saved Chrysler from bankruptcy. It basically popularized the current econobox platform.

This included-
Dodge Aries
1200px-85-89_Dodge_Aries_sedan.jpg

Dodge Daytona
Dodge-Daytona-Shelby-Z.jpg

Featuring rich Corinthian leather, the Maserati TC
f212-1989-chrysler-1514387492131@2x.jpg

Plymouth Voyager
261zsds4xrf21.jpg

And popularized by Jon Voigt and Cake, the Chrysler LeBaron
pa0715-216638_1@2x.jpg

Maybe for some future installments, the other Shelby cars of those years like the CSX and Daytona, the Daytona IROC with it's Mitsubishi V6, the Chrysler Decepzione, and the later SRT-4 cars.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
IMG_3596.JPG

Wife is teaching her students about alternative fuels in her 4th grade class, since the DSG is an E85 car, it counts. So she is bring the little rascals out for me to do a small presentation. Tomorrow they get a Tesla that my buddy owns. I’m willing to bet they find the Tesla a whole lot more of a cooler car is a mess. But they’re only fourth graders so what do they know

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I kind of want to build a Banner Boy Buckboard now.

They were no muscle cars. But the Mopar Turbo I/IIs really were some of the first sport compacts. And the SRT-4 line really carried on in that tradition, even if all the attention went to the imports.

Another historic cheap car:
The Chrysler K-car. The brainchild of Lee Iacocca (of Mustang fame), it was a cheap unibody, FWD platform that went on to be used in fifty different variants, and basically saved Chrysler from bankruptcy. It basically popularized the current econobox platform.

This included-
Dodge Aries
View attachment 1702415
Dodge Daytona
View attachment 1702428
Featuring rich Corinthian leather, the Maserati TC
View attachment 1702416
Plymouth Voyager
View attachment 1702417

And popularized by Jon Voigt and Cake, the Chrysler LeBaron
View attachment 1702418

Maybe for some future installments, the other Shelby cars of those years like the CSX and Daytona, the Daytona IROC with it's Mitsubishi V6, the Chrysler Decepzione, and the later SRT-4 cars.
Darn you for bringing up the cheap/cheap Chrysler K-car. I have worked hard for many years to free my brain from memories of the K-car. LOL. You're right, it should be in the list of cheap cars.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Darn you for bringing up the cheap/cheap Chrysler K-car. I have worked hard for many years to free my brain from memories of the K-car. LOL. You're right, it should be in the list of cheap cars.

It's part of the zeitgeist. You can't escape it. Seinfeld, Cake, Reliant K, even the Barenaked Ladies.

If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a K-car, a nice reliant automobile.

Don't forget about this hotrod.

I knew about a lot of the other turbo Mopars, but I never knew they marketed the Spirit that way, or that it was a Turbo/manual car. Crazy that it really was competitive with those other cars, much the same way the 2.3T SVO bested the 5.0 GT.

And how can we forget this weird bastard-
Merkur Xr4ti
Screen-Shot-2016-11-18-at-11.24.41-AM.png

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
It's part of the zeitgeist. You can't escape it. Seinfeld, Cake, Reliant K, even the Barenaked Ladies.

If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a K-car, a nice reliant automobile.

I knew about a lot of the other turbo Mopars, but I never knew they marketed the Spirit that way, or that it was a Turbo/manual car. Crazy that it really was competitive with those other cars, much the same way the 2.3T SVO bested the 5.0 GT.

And how can we forget this weird bastard-
Merkur Xr4ti
View attachment 1702464

The Spirit RT could surprise a lot of cars back then.

Car&Driver test results:
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 5.8 sec
100 mph: 15.6 sec
1/4 mile: 14.5 sec @ 97 mph

blownstang01

Established Member
Was working as a service manager at a Lincoln / Mercury dealership when the Merkur's came out. What a shit show.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
The Capri was such an odd nameplate that they used. First used by Lincoln, then Ford in Europe, then Mercury in three completely unrelated cars.

1st generation? European Ford.
1973-capri-1.jpg

2nd generation? Fancy Mustang.
17433_02.jpg

3rd generation? An Aussie Ford with a Mazda drivetrain.
mercury-capri-iii-[14759].jpg

I'd still do terrible things for the foxbody ones. Terribly disappointing when you get a lead on one and it turns out to be the third generation kind.

Users who are viewing this thread