Random Cell Phone Pics

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
eneqared.jpg

It's crazy to think how big mustangs have gotten over the years

(My gtcs parked next to a friends 69 Mach 1)

Tapatalking in my GT/CS

Jefe

Established Member
Went to San Diego this past weekend. Pics from La Jolla and Fort Rosecrans Cemetary on Point Loma

IMG_20130525_183335_zps8ca70070.jpg

IMG_20130527_163224_zps1f0d6c09.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Took a tour of the Steward Mirror Lab which is under the University of Arizona Football Stadium. Most people have no clue its there or what it being worked on. This is 1 of the 7 mirrors they are building for the Giant Magellan Telescope that is being built for Chile. It will be 10x more powerful than the Hubble Space Telescope. It is the only lab in the world of its kind. The tour guide stated 1 of these mirrors would allow you to read a newspaper over 5 miles away. Here they are buffing the surface down to prep it for the aluminum coating. There's about 20 tons of glass in this piece alone, the glass comes from Japan. The project for the mirrors alone is well over $25mil. Each piece will be driven to Houston and put on a ship bound for Chile.

IMG_20130531_153938_zps486b2b77.jpg

Still-GMT-S22-medium.jpg

oldmodman

Established Member
Took a tour of the Steward Mirror Lab which is under the University of Arizona Football Stadium. Most people have no clue its there or what it being worked on. This is 1 of the 7 mirrors they are building for the Giant Magellan Telescope that is being built for Chile. It will be 10x more powerful than the Hubble Space Telescope. It is the only lab in the world of its kind. The tour guide stated 1 of these mirrors would allow you to read a newspaper over 5 miles away. Here they are buffing the surface down to prep it for the aluminum coating. There's about 20 tons of glass in this piece alone, the glass comes from Japan. The project for the mirrors alone is well over $25mil. Each piece will be driven to Houston and put on a ship bound for Chile.

IMG_20130531_153938_zps486b2b77.jpg

Still-GMT-S22-medium.jpg

Is that the lab that does the spin casting of mirrors? I did tour the lab at the college that was experimenting with that technology. They were able to make mirrors that required far less grinding to reach the final figure.

RichM1983

Established Member

If I'm not mistaken those mirrors are ground so smooth the variance in the surface from peak to valley is like 25 molecules tall or something like that. It is amazing how precise they can be ground.

Jefe

Established Member
Is that the lab that does the spin casting of mirrors? I did tour the lab at the college that was experimenting with that technology. They were able to make mirrors that required far less grinding to reach the final figure.
Exactly its at Arizona: Steward Observatory Mirror Lab

According to the site, the GMT will cost around $700mil
If I'm not mistaken those mirrors are ground so smooth the variance in the surface from peak to valley is like 25 molecules tall or something like that. It is amazing how precise they can be ground.
Ya they mentioned all the dimensions, I wish I would have recorded some of it. I do remember him saying the top layer of the glass is 25 nanometers or about 1,000th the thickness of a human hair. LOL

Equalbracket

Established Member
City cop just driving around with a near flat tire, followed him for miles, he had to stop and get him some mexican food tho.

2hi5ls9.jpg

Broken back, busted up insides, he fell 60+ feet, hit ice bridge and bounced to the ground. I had to snap a pic, couldn't get down fast anyway.

33xg75v.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread