RAM TRX debut

kaz109

Established Member
@blk02edge

Why do you think Ram simply matched the Gen 2 Raptor tires and suspension instead of going for the kill and going with 37's with the proper suspension to match? Do you think it's a simple as MPG rating?

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
There’s a balance between rim size to clear brakes and other hardware and still retaining sidewall rigidity and handling mannerisms as well as current trends and aesthetics. I’m willing to bet both Ford and Ram engineers came to similar conclusions with respects to this.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
@blk02edge

Why do you think Ram simply matched the Gen 2 Raptor tires and suspension instead of going for the kill and going with 37's with the proper suspension to match? Do you think it's a simple as MPG rating?
I've said it several times now. The more off-road oriented you go, the more your on road performance suffers.

These are still very much luxury street trucks which will be daily driven and need to maintain their street manners.

Dirty 7's are on another level in terms weight, cost, balancing challenges and drive train/suspension wear.

To increase travel more would mean to increase width and height more, which means even less a chance this beast will fit in garages and parking spaces. Tweaking spring rates and rear suspension will also halve your tow/payload and you'll likely get a firmer ride on the road.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
@blk02edge

Ford stayed away from 37s because that wheezy v6 cant pull them.

Rumor is RAM TRX comes out with 40s from the factory next year.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I've said it several times now. The more off-road oriented you go, the more your on road performance suffers.

These are still very much luxury street trucks which will be daily driven and need to maintain their street manners.

Dirty 7's are on another level in terms weight, cost, balancing challenges and drive train/suspension wear.

To increase travel more would mean to increase width and height more, which means even less a chance this beast will fit in garages and parking spaces. Tweaking spring rates and rear suspension will also halve your tow/payload and you'll likely get a firmer ride on the road.

head shot

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
@tones_RS3 a Regular cab short bed TRX would be the way to go
What's happening my brother!!

If Ram would make it, I would buy one in rc/sb. No question about it. It only comes in crew cab currently, unfortunately. I may still take a look at them when the time comes. Not for a while.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
There's one battle Ram is superior at to Ford, the interiors are on another level of niceness.
No comparison.
The Ram's interior is very nice. The Ford looks good too, but the Ram is 'nther level.

blk02edge

Established Member
Ford stayed away from 37s because that wheezy v6 cant pull them.

Rumor is RAM TRX comes out with 40s from the factory next year.
Well that's just not gonna happen...

@blk02edge

Because it was very simple to do and gets the monkeys fired up. It's very true that the more radical the suspension gets the worse the road manners but they absolutely could have stepped it up more than what it is and run a 6.4 NA engine that would be nicely suited to the suspension levels while keeping the price somewhat sane.

Different strokes different folks.... People who drive to Starbucks are the main people that will be stuck on repeat with this debate. People who honestly care about offroad won't care at all about the TRX vs Raptor debate, they'll be buying aftermarket suspension and doing their own builds

kaz109

Established Member
Well that's just not gonna happen...

Because it was very simple to do and gets the monkeys fired up. It's very true that the more radical the suspension gets the worse the road manners but they absolutely could have stepped it up more than what it is and run a 6.4 NA engine that would be nicely suited to the suspension levels while keeping the price somewhat sane.

Different strokes different folks.... People who drive to Starbucks are the main people that will be stuck on repeat with this debate. People who honestly care about offroad won't care at all about the TRX vs Raptor debate, they'll be buying aftermarket suspension and doing their own builds

So that was kinda my point, after seeing and riding in a mid travel kit raptor I don't think the compromise was too great on the road for the TRX to have that along with 37s.....

These threads pass time no doubt but in all seriousness I feel like the TRX has a chance to blow the gen 2 out of the water and it didn't. I feel like for the 90k price point the TRX should have a mid travel kit and 37s . @Corbic mentioned garages and parking spaces but but I don't by that for multiple reasons .

So suspension wise what do you see the direction going for the Gen 3?

kaz109

Established Member
You forgot power and torque as well.
Ram now has that too now. :D ;)
tenor (7).gif

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
You forgot power and torque as well.
Ram now has that too now. :D ;)

Dodge giving EVERYTHING the Hellcat treatment while Ford is putting the wheezing V6 treatment to all their “performance” vehicles. Its sad when you can buy a Durango family hauler with a blown V8 sounding mean as hell, but the “top” F150 has a V6 sounding like a civic with an Vatozone exhaust :mad:

kaz109

Established Member
Another sighting from a raptor owner and this was his comments ........

Was at Menards and of course I had to park next to it and take some pictures. The guy driving it came out and moved closer then took some pictures also. He asked me what engine was in mine so he was not very knowledgeable of the Raptor. It looked a couple of inches taller but mine is an 2018 and has sagged some

IMG_3864[1].JPG

DEBD6B1F-CBA4-4C10-A612-E273B17CD984.jpeg

IMG_3871[1].JPG

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
These threads pass time no doubt but in all seriousness I feel like the TRX has a chance to blow the gen 2 out of the water and it didn't. I feel like for the 90k price point the TRX should have a mid travel kit and 37s . @Corbic mentioned garages and parking spaces but but I don't by that for multiple reasons .

How do you know it hasn't blown it out of the water? Are there any production ones running around yet? Still waiting for you to confirm your claim that a TRX exploded when taken down Shelby's test track, while a Raptor passed with flying colors.

To your second point:

The list of regulations that a car/truck has to meet these days would make you head spin. Unbelievable amounts of red tape and potential liability. Everything from bumper heights/pedestrian collision standards, to how sharp the creases in the sheet metal can be (yes, I'm serious).

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
So that was kinda my point, after seeing and riding in a mid travel kit raptor I don't think the compromise was too great on the road for the TRX to have that along with 37s.....

So suspension wise what do you see the direction going for the Gen 3?
Again.

Mid Travel Raptor...

So Uppers, Lift, wheels and tires?

What type of Uppers? Uniball and Poly? You don't think OEM owners are going to be bitching and lining up for warranty work when those start squeezing and clicking in a year?

37's? How hard was it to Ballance? How long did it take? What gears got swapped in? Spacers, aftermarket wheels? What's his fuel mileage like? Any trimming? Any contact on lock-to-lock turning?

What's the vehicle roll over risk now? What's the bumper crash hight? What's the braking distance and brake pad life now? What's the likely hood hell bust a CV in the next two years?

How much did the setup cost? Now triple that for an OEM.

Running a lift and 37's is like asking why a Terminator or GT500 didn't come with a pulley and tune from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread