raising the idle

bbeers

Probably a stupid question. My car idles around 500 rpm and wants to stall. I would like to raise it to 800 or 900. Someone tell me how to raise it.

Britt

dougwg

Established Member
Idle is controled be the IAC,

The IAC is controled by the computer,

The computer is controled by the Tuner,

The Tuner is controled by the customer,

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Turning the stop screw on the side of the throttle body will raise your idle. That's what I did to mine to raise it up a bit.

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by TRDNiteLife
Couldn't you just tighten the throttle cable?

no

Originally posted by KWladyka
Turning the stop screw on the side of the throttle body will raise your idle. That's what I did to mine to raise it up a bit.

this will only last for a short time.... untill the computer relearns

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
no

this will only last for a short time.... untill the computer relearns

Odd, it has lasted over year for me. My car stalled at every stop after putting in a CAI. Adjusting the idle screw raised the idle and it has stayed put at around 750 RPM. Just my experience.

dougwg

Established Member
I'm not sayin he shouldn't try it....

it's just that when most people try this ... it goes back after a little while...

Stalling sucks.... I'm glad you "fixed" yours...

the problem is that the car is supposed to idle at 647 RPM cuz of exhaust emitions.... and ford has to get a higher idle setting past the EPA... which I doubt will happen....

That being said... I doubt we will ever see a true fix for stalling

Last edited:

AMB

Established Member
BPU

Do you still have the stock TB ??You need to set the MECHANICAL IDLE first, by removing the IAC from the top of the TB. Tape up the holes on the TB. Leave the ELECTRICAL connection to the IAC hooked up. Start the car, it may not idle at all, you will have to adjust the TB idle screw to get it to idle. The STOCK TB has a MECHANICAL adjusting screw. It has NO adjusting head on it, so you have to use a SMALL vice grip to turn it. You need to turn it about one or two turns CCW to get the idle up to 750 RPMs. After you set the MECHANICAL idle, turn off car OFF, remove the tape, and reinstall the IAC, start the car, it should idle at about 750 RPMs.

AMB

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Re: BPU

Originally posted by AMB
It has NO adjusting head on it, so you have to use a SMALL vice grip to turn it.

On past cars, I just cut a slot in them. Haven't had a problem with this one yet to mess with it.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
doug, I could be wrong here but during idle your TB blade is almost shut and the air flows around the TB via AIC and a tiny bit by the blade. If you crank the screw you allow more air b the blade which flows into the intake raising the idle. The tuner has not control over the idle screw and should be set at the "normal" spot. If the TB stop screw isn't set correctly a good tuner wouldn't program around it, they would fix the problem and go from there.

There are numerous things that screw up the idle and a majority of the time it's screwed up by the person installing the TB.

Last edited:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
BPU,

If your car really idles at 500 rpm, there is something wrong with it. Rather than fiddle with the throttle body stop, you should diagnose the problem first. Could be many things, ranging from vacuum leak to sensor failures to computer problem.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I had a stalling problem also. I bought a predator when I did the pulley swap and cranked up the idle to 850 PRM's. No more stalling and the car idles fine. End of problem.

maoun

Established Member
car is set to idle at 650 by stock computer flash.....i say have a chip do it....don't mess with the screw

bbeers

I guess I will see about having someone program the diablo chip to see if I can get the idle raised. Btw, I have a Accufab and KB blower. The idle issue started after the KB install and actually the car stalls quite a bit less since the KB install

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
doug, I could be wrong here but during idle your TB blade is almost shut and the air flows around the TB via AIC and a tiny bit by the blade. If you crank the screw you allow more air b the blade which flows into the intake raising the idle. The tuner has not control over the idle screw and should be set at the "normal" spot. If the TB stop screw isn't set correctly a good tuner wouldn't program around it, they would fix the problem and go from there.

There are numerous things that screw up the idle and a majority of the time it's screwed up by the person installing the TB.

I believe this is the correct statement. The IAC is a little plunger valve that allows air to by-pass the throttle blade. The most the computer can do to slow the idle is close that valve all the way. Once the IAC is completely closed the only air entering the motor is that air which slips past the TB blade in its closed position. Adjusting this a bit to increase the amount of air that passes should raise the 'base' idle. There are some threads on here that have a detailed procedure for making this adjustment. If you can't find one, let me know and I will search it down for you.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by dougwg
I'm not sayin he shouldn't try it....

it's just that when most people try this ... it goes back after a little while...

Stalling sucks.... I'm glad you "fixed" yours...

the problem is that the car is supposed to idle at 647 RPM cuz of exhaust emitions.... and ford has to get a higher idle setting past the EPA... which I doubt will happen....

That being said... I doubt we will ever see a true fix for stalling
The stalling issue (if it is idle related) can be resolved by means other than raising the idle. I just talked to SVT about this. If method 1 fails approval they will move on to method 2. But it will surely be fixed. Ford can't risk NOT fixing it. The legal ramifications and number of reported instances makes it a must-fix. The consequences are obvious, both from a legal and financial standpoint.

AMB

Established Member
BPU

I have a KB with a Accufab TB also. I have done the Mechanical Idle adjustment on it and three other 03 Cobra's and ALL have NO stalling problems when you raise the idle to750/850 RPMs.

AMB

Users who are viewing this thread