Radio whine noise??

GNasty

Established Member
Does anyone else here have the annoying alternator whine noise through the speakers? I have only had my car for 3 days. Now, I notice a loud alternator whine coming through the speakers, especially if I am sitting at idle. Am I the only one with this extra Mach sound system upgrade????

Thanks for the help!

Kyle

maoun

Established Member
did you take your hood blanket off? sounds like you might want to put a line filter in...

m.

GNasty

Established Member
No, I have not removed the hood blanket. This problem first popped up last night. My neighbors wanted to see the car, so I pulled it out an left it running. I had the radio on, but the volume turned all the way down. When I was ready to put the car up, I hear this loud whine. As soon as I turned the radio off, the sound went away. Turned the radio on and it came back. No big deal, but I thought that maybe someone had heard of this.

Thanks again,
Kyle

j card

Established Member
When you suddenly gain noise in an audio system (without making any changes to it) it is often ground related - so you may have a plug or connection that has come loose somewhere. The way I understand it, the 6x8 speakers are powered by the rear amps, and the tweeters are powered by the deck. Check to see if the noise is specific to one type of speaker or another. Also check to see it it is only one speaker in particular. If it is all of them, I'd look at the plugs on the radio. If it is only one/some of the 6x8's, look for loose connections on the amplifiers. If it is one speaker only, look for a grounded speaker wire on that speaker.

Happy hunting!

John

GNasty

Established Member
Thanks for the help John. Now I have something to do with my free time. :)

I will find out tonight where the noise is coming from. Thursday is our local Sonic drive-in cruise night. I have to go show off the car!

Kyle

GNasty

Established Member
I have a little more information to my radio noise. I noticed this morning that this only happens after driving for a while. I work 10 miles from home, and the radio was fine until I parked the car, and let it idle. Now, I found out that only the lower door speakers are affected. Not the tweeters or the back speakers. Are the amps seperated for front speakers and rear speakers?

I checked the connections at the amplifiers and everything seems fine. Does anyone have any other suggestions, before I let the Ford techs have my car. I am very leary of giving up my car to a shop full of gear heads. (No disrespect to any techs, I am a tech too!)

Thanks for the help!

Kyle

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread