Radio swap question

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
I know I could just go buy an aftermarket radio and be done with it, but I was wondering if there was any other ford vehicle perhaps a little newer that utilizes the same wiring harness as my 01 cobra. I'd really like something newer that utilizes the ability of bluetooth link up or even the cord to plug in my ipod.
Thanks guys
Andy

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Bluetooth on the later model vehicles isn't handled inside the radio, its handled by microsoft sync which is a seperate box. Ford made a retrofit kit for the '08 stang that MIGHT work on your '01 cobra. I actually plan to try it eventually.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
Just order a Bluetooth H.U. from Crutchfield... they'll include all the harnesses and adapters for free with your order.

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
Just order a Bluetooth H.U. from Crutchfield... they'll include all the harnesses and adapters for free with your order.

That's an option but the cd player in my car is toast. I was hoping I could source a double din from something else ford made with the same plugs perhaps a few years newer that either has the bluetooth or a plug for my ipod. I'm probably going to have to look for a new head unit. I have never swapped a radio in a mustang that was equipped with the mach 460 set-up, is it any different than a regular swap?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That's an option but the cd player in my car is toast. I was hoping I could source a double din from something else ford made with the same plugs perhaps a few years newer that either has the bluetooth or a plug for my ipod. I'm probably going to have to look for a new head unit. I have never swapped a radio in a mustang that was equipped with the mach 460 set-up, is it any different than a regular swap?

As long as you get the harness that's for the Mach 460 it's plug and play. I went with a head unit that has a seperate subwoofer output so I could add a little more bass. I am starting to look for a new double din set up since my head unit is starting to go. And it would be nice to have the phone going through the speakers to make the calls a little easier to hear over the Stingers.

po-po 5.0

Established Member

Another option if you don't mind losing the in-dash changer: I've seen a few modded ford "mach mp3" radios on ebay with an aux input added to the front. Might be worth looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread