Radiator reservoir overflow problems

VNMUS03

Established Member
I would definitely get a test kit to check for combustion gases in the cooling system. This is a easy test to perform and any good garage should be able to do it for you and it doesn't take long to do. It's best find the cause before replacing parts that are not needed. There have been many good suggestions in this post and they could all be a possibility but like I said test first and replace parts after testing. I hope this helps , I was a Ford tech for over 40 years.

I appreciate the tips guys. I have done that btw.

VNMUS03

Established Member
UPDATE! so the problem is a leaky water pump under pressure. At idle the pump and car wouldn't leak as far as I could tell, only after driving it. Even after burping it countless times my temps would stay low and it seemed to do ok until I would actually drive the car. No head gasket issue, just a pain in the ass water pump.

hotcobra03

Established Member
UPDATE! so the problem is a leaky water pump under pressure. At idle the pump and car wouldn't leak as far as I could tell, only after driving it. Even after burping it countless times my temps would stay low and it seemed to do ok until I would actually drive the car. No head gasket issue, just a pain in the ass water pump.
Easy repair

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
Thats great news, I wouldn't have thought that. Its the easiest fix for sure.

VNMUS03

Established Member
Update! :( I don’t have time to work on the car so the work was done at my local ford. I paid for the diagnostic and they said exactly what I said on my last update. Today I went to pick it up after work. The tech test drive it and the same shit started happening.
Back to square one. It’s looking like it’s going to be the head gasket or something. That chemical test I did must have been faulty but I’m still hoping that’s not the problem.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I just was catching up on reading the thread. I do hope and wish you luck to get this licked for good. Keep the updates coming. I too have had my coolant and overheating demons. Most of the time it's the cap.

I did once find a hose leak on the passenger side of the car on one of the upper heater hoses. I never saw any leak of coolant on the ground, but I was having overheating issues and was thinking I just didn't get it burped all the way.

Than one time in the garage after driving the cobra. I could here a mysterious sizzle sound every so often. I investigated it more and found a pin hole that was leaking to the exhaust and evaporating instantly so it never was hitting the ground.

I had to get a special tool to take the hose off but got it swapped out and I didn't seem to have anymore issues.

Wishing you luck!

01blckcobra

Established Member
Sounds like a blown head gasket to me. my experience has always been the passenger side.

Pull the spark plugs out and see what they look like. usually get coolant build up on cyl. 3 n 4. which was always weird to me cause 7-8 were the problem childs.

Do you have the head cooling mod?

really want an answer cheap. Wipe everything down, (clean). take it out, drive easy for 1-2miles at opt temp. Check for leaks. if not. take it back out. Give her a little. Check for leaks. if it leaks, its a head gasket usually. also will get a faint sweet smell and moisture out the exhaust.

Last edited:

VNMUS03

Established Member
UPDATE, ford ran another diagnostic and came to the conclusion it was likely a head gasket or a cracked/warped head. They did a chemical test for gases like i did and had no indication of leaking gasses. They did do a relative compression test and cylinder 5 is down 6% and 7 is down 11%. This problems looking like its going to turn into a rebuild/2.9 whipple thread.

VNMUS03

Established Member
I did do a compression test in the past and cylinder 5 indicated some ring issues. The pressure came up 20 points or so after I put in a teaspoon of oil and retested. So it may be a combination of bad rings in cyl 5 and the head gasket.

01blckcobra

Established Member
At idle a chemical test won't really show unless its severe gasket damage for my experience. By then usually have coolant in the cylinders when it sits.

11%... ehhh... borderline. pull it apart and slap new head gaskets on it. or if you have the funds complete rebuild with studs.

VNMUS03

Established Member
At idle a chemical test won't really show unless its severe gasket damage for my experience. By then usually have coolant in the cylinders when it sits.

11%... ehhh... borderline. pull it apart and slap new head gaskets on it. or if you have the funds complete rebuild with studs.
I’m going to talk to a couple of shops here in Cali. I’m from the Central Valley so every shop known in the forums like AED and RET is kind of far. I’m hoping that the case so I can just get a new head gasket and arp studs

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If youre gonna pull the heads I would at least find a straight edge (like one a machinist would use) and make sure the heads/block or true.

VNMUS03

Established Member
Looks like it’s going to be a build guys. Talking to a shop right now. May be a rebuild with a 2.9 Whipple. I’ll keep you guys posted. Kind of stoked for this.

VNMUS03

Established Member
Unless I find a nice 2.3 vmp !! The third gen 2.65 seems to be more expensive than the 2.9 Whipple

Users who are viewing this thread