Radiator Replacement

lescok

Established Member
Hey guys looking into a 2/3 core radiator replacement for my cobra. What is everyone running? Fitment issues? All help appreciated Thanks.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I installed a mishimoto

• Radiator is considerably thicker than stock.
  • Required slotting the ABS unit's mounting bracket and forcing it back for clearance
  • Lots of fighting to get it in.
  • Stock keepers don't work. You must buy the Mishimoto keepers they make.
  • Cooling fan does not sit up against the radiator like it did stock so fan sucks in air from the sides instead of from the radiator. Had to pull fan and install weather stripping all along to make it seal.
  • Had to bend A/C line on the passenger's side for clearance
  • Supercharger coolant bottle no longer fit in stock location. Had to move forward and drill new mounting holes.
  • Had to cut upper supercharger coolant bottle's hose to account for new position.
  • Car runs noticeably hotter than it did with stock radiator. I'm told I need to build baffles all around radiator to force air through the thicker radiator. I also supposedly need to build a bigger than stock air dam below the radiator to try and correct this issue.

There's probably more but that's all that comes to mind right now.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Why not use a OEM one? Really all you need is a upgraded thermostat.

Because my radiator sprung a leak and started leaking and the OEM is discontinued. You can't get them anymore. I'd like to find something else that's close to OEM and cools the same.

lescok

Established Member
I installed a mishimoto

• Radiator is considerably thicker than stock.
  • Required slotting the ABS unit's mounting bracket and forcing it back for clearance
  • Lots of fighting to get it in.
  • Stock keepers don't work. You must buy the Mishimoto keepers they make.
  • Cooling fan does not sit up against the radiator like it did stock so fan sucks in air from the sides instead of from the radiator. Had to pull fan and install weather stripping all along to make it seal.
  • Had to bend A/C line on the passenger's side for clearance
  • Supercharger coolant bottle no longer fit in stock location. Had to move forward and drill new mounting holes.
  • Had to cut upper supercharger coolant bottle's hose to account for new position.
  • Car runs noticeably hotter than it did with stock radiator. I'm told I need to build baffles all around radiator to force air through the thicker radiator. I also supposedly need to build a bigger than stock air dam below the radiator to try and correct this issue.

There's probably more but that's all that comes to mind right now.

Wow thats a big headache. How many cores is this radiator?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Wow thats a big headache. How many cores is this radiator?

Don't recall. Just googled it quick and saw this "The new Mishimoto Mustang radiator is a direct fit and installs in about two hours with no cutting or trimming required." LOL :bash:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Have you tried taking it to a radiator to get fixed? I bought my car and it had a Fluidyne in it and I haven't had any problems.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
If there was a source for a new O.E.M. radiator that actually had it in stock, they would have an order from me immediately.

That makes two of us. I've called around a bunch and even had a buddy of mine that works at a Ford dealer do some checking. Nothing.

Have you tried taking it to a radiator to get fixed?

I tried that first. They said my radiator had been corroding from the inside out and the metal was thin and worthless. They said they "might" be able to plug the leak but he said it was a lost cause and would just start leaking all over.
So I tossed it and installed a Mishimoto. I should have done some research first. The "bolts right in, OEM replacement" is BS lol.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Ive used. Barhs leak each time mine starts to drip..

Really last hope is replacement..

I dont think any have been direct fit that were worth it over other options

SLPRCTM

Established Member
If you get the Mishimoto or the Fluidyne, make sure to get a zinc anode to install in the radiator. This will help prevent any corrosion issues in the coolant system. You can find them at any marine supply place for around $5.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I have had the LFP model for almost 5 years. It is not a direct fit either, but it cools well with the Stewart pump and Richie thermostat. My tuner was surprised how quickly the engine cooled down after a pull on the dyno.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
If you get the Mishimoto or the Fluidyne, make sure to get a zinc anode to install in the radiator. This will help prevent any corrosion issues in the coolant system. You can find them at any marine supply place for around $5.

I did that. Is it specific only to Mishimoto or Fluidyne? I thought it would help all radiators.

Ford Racing Aluminum Mustang Cobra Radiator 03 04 | eBay
If I were you OP I'd jump all over this 03-04 Cobra OEM radiator.

I almost bought this one in Feb. This guy has relisted it a 2nd time on Ebay. Its a fantastic deal.

Several years ago, I bought another oem radiator for my 03. It was $275 with shipping from BuyFordracing.com.

The reason I bought a 2nd oem radiator was because I replaced my stock one with a Fluidyne, believing a bigger radiator would drop temps significantly. I figured the only way to really settle this debate was to 'upgrader.'

I sold the used stock one and the Fluidyne leaked and they sent me a brand new replacement for the Fluidyne which I successfully sold.

So what am I getting at? These aftermarket radiators are VERY EXPENSIVE! I'd buy this oem radiator, if I anticipated a failure on my current radiator, but I don't.

You're not going to get a discontinued OEM radiator, anywhere this cheap.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Ford Racing Aluminum Mustang Cobra Radiator 03 04 | eBay
If I were you OP I'd jump all over this 03-04 Cobra OEM radiator.

I almost bought this one in Feb. This guy has relisted it a 2nd time on Ebay. Its a fantastic deal.

Several years ago, I bought another oem radiator for my 03. It was $275 with shipping from BuyFordracing.com.

The reason I bought a 2nd oem radiator was because I replaced my stock one with a Fluidyne, believing a bigger radiator would drop temps significantly. I figured the only way to really settle this debate was to 'upgrader.'

I sold the used stock one and the Fluidyne leaked and they sent me a brand new replacement for the Fluidyne which I successfully sold.

So what am I getting at? These aftermarket radiators are VERY EXPENSIVE! I'd buy this oem radiator, if I anticipated a failure on my current radiator, but I don't.

You're not going to get a discontinued OEM radiator, anywhere this cheap.

Did you see it's smashed at the bottom though. May leak or have other problems.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I have an OEM from 99-04 GT manual I bought a few years back I'd be willing to part with. Bought it at MPS for $125.

Not sure if its the same as the cobra.

dpancer

Established Member

where and how do you install the zinc anode???

MalcolmV8

Established Member
where and how do you install the zinc anode???

The anode looks like a short pencil. It's a small rod with a male thread on the end like a bolt. The drain plug on the radiator is hollow with a female thread tapped into it allowing you to screw the anode into it. Then when you install the radiator drain plug the anode will slide in first attached to the bolt. I really don't recall where I picked up the parts. I'm sure there are links on this forum if you search.

Users who are viewing this thread