Radiator fan causing engine to stall at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

agony

Established Member
Hope someone might have an idea on this. I have a '14 GT and just put a Vortech V3 on it. Was running a base tune to drive around on for a couple weeks until I could get my dyno tune. I was having an issue in which the car would stall or come very close to stalling when the radiator fan would kick in while at idle. Sometimes when coasting to a light with the clutch in or just standing still. I just had the car dyno tuned earlier this week and mentioned it to my tuner. He did some troubleshooting to make sure it wasn't something in the tune. He mentioned that the fan was going straight from off to high speed and could be the fan. Today I had my fan assembly swapped with another car's and mine continued to stall when the fan came on and the other car was fine with mine.

Why would an electric fan put load on a motor to cause a stall?

Last edited:

CPRsm

Sounds like it could be the tune. Fan assembly sounds fine. Idk what it could be mechanically if not the fan or tstat. If the fan kicks on straight to 100% it can stall the car easily at idle. Will the car run on the stock tune?

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
When you get your dyno tune that stalling will be gone. Assuming you have good tuner lined up!

agony

Established Member
When you get your dyno tune that stalling will be gone. Assuming you have good tuner lined up!

Already got the dyno tune from one of the best in the DC area. They were thinking it was the fan assembly or more specifically the resistor or relays (I think) that the low speed goes through.

Last edited:

JpL4K3

Established Member
It's your tune. My car experienced the same issues on a Paxton, and it took several tune revisions to get right.

JpL4K3

Established Member
I noticed on mine that if the A/C was off it would catch itself before stalling. The extra load from the A/C would cause it to stall a lot more frequently.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Just get with the tuner and it will get sorted out. The fan should have nothing to do with it.

agony

Established Member
Yeah. Going to call them on Monday and maybe send some data logs. Was trying to rule out any non-tune issues before that though.

scott_0

Established Member
Already got the dyno tune from one of the best in the DC area. They were thinking it was the fan assembly or more specifically the resistor or relays (I think) that the low speed goes through.

Adam Browne at Revolution Automotive in Baltimore? he is THE best in the area

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
^he's the one that tuned my paxton, car runs great 625 rwhp 500 ftlbs torque with the stock pulley!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread