Radar detectors in MA

SCneon01

Established Member
ive been wondering for a while if radar detectors are illegal to have in your cars in mass..ive been pulled over a few times and they havent said anything about mine..but ive herad from a few people that they are illegal and ill get a ticket..
hopefully someone who really knows can tell me..thanks.

670 of 4993

Head Colostomizer
Established Member
yea, theyre legal. My friend also has a CB radio in his car and listens to the cops. Kinda funny when we hear his plates get run when we're tearing it up.

bullitt5177

I Eat Rice
Established Member
Yeah, they're legal but I've been told by a LEO that they aren't when he pulled me over.:shrug: I think he was just trying to scare me out of speeding though.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
* United States law varies from state to state, but detectors are generally legal in private vehicles under the Communications Act of 1934[7] and illegal in commercial vehicles by DOT regulation (49 CFR 392.71). Exceptions:
o Illegal in all vehicles: Virginia, Washington D.C., U.S. military bases
o Illegal in commercial vehicles under state law: Illinois, New York (specifically, commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg) and all vehicles over 18,000 pounds (8,200 kg))
o Indirectly illegal: Minnesota and California (illegal to hang anything from the windshield with suction cups; however both dashboard and visor mounting is allowed.) [1] It is also indirectly illegal in NY State, pursuant to Title 3 Article 9 § 375.30 of the New York State vehicle and traffic law[8]. It states:

(§ 375) 30. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle
with any object placed or hung in or upon the vehicle, except required
or permitted equipment of the vehicle, in such a manner as to obstruct
or interfere with the view of the operator through the windshield, or to
prevent him from having a clear and full view of the road and condition
of traffic behind such vehicle.

o Repealed: Connecticut (repealed in 1998)

Users who are viewing this thread