Rack Install F-up

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
When I was installing my rack I didn't lock the column right after I took the link off. The column turned and when i conected it the rack was also ofcenter. I made the mistake of turning the wheel (slowly) and I hear the rubber stretch. I stoped and rotated the wheel back some turns until I got to the center. But unfortunately I hear the column scratch whenever I turn past 3/4 of a turn. There is no more rubber stretching sound and it feels like the column is on center. What do you guys suppose I broke? I want to fix it.

Thanks

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
It could have been the clock spring. But if you didn't put a lot of force on it while you were turning, maybe you just heard the "wires" cinching on themself and it's still OK. IIRC, the airbag and horn (or maybe the cruise control?) go through the clock spring. Just check all the steering wheel controls to see if they work. If your airbag light comes on any time soon, it could be time for a new clock spring if you want your airbag to work.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
The coupler shaft, rack and column only go on one way.
Slots and pinch bolts line up.
You did hear the clock spring as mentioned above.

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
That's exactly it. I heard the wires cinching. Everything works perfectly fine. But whenever I turn 3/4 of the way I hear a scratching sound. Can I lube it up.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
no. a clock spring is a sealed unit and you can only replace it. i wouldn't take any chances on it really.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
If you're cinching the clock spring, you may just be off 360 deg when you hooked everything back up. So this is going off my memory when I worked on my '91:
1. Make sure your rack is centered. Your steering wheel should also be "straight up".
2. Disconnect your battery and wait a long while (someone else can chime in w/the exact amount of time -- I let is sit for a couple of hours) so the airbag doesn't go off when you disconnect the wires. Serious stuff here!
3. Remove the air bag.
4. Remove your clock spring.
5. Now here's where I'm going off memory -- I turned the clock spring (minimal force) to feel it cinching. Then I counted the number of rotations until I felt a little resistance in the opposite direction. Divide the number of rotations by two and find the center. This is when I used my multimeter to check the connections in the clock spring and all connections tested well.
6. Reinstall the clockspring and button everything up.
I hate to say this, but if you work on your clock spring, you are doing it at your own risk. There are some stupid lawyers out there. But I think that if you're thinking of replacing the clock spring anyway, why not "explore" w/your old one? It may be fine -- just needs to be "clocked" correctly. Good luck!

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do exactly that. I think that in order to work on the airbag all you have to do is touch the - and + terminals together to get all the charge out of the system.

Users who are viewing this thread