Rack and Pinion Bushings Changed now what?

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
My car orignially made a thump every time I turned out of my driveway. I changed the bushings and the thump minimized a lot. But I still hear it only during hard lock to lock parking maneuvers. I was wondering now that I changed the bushings what more can I do?

Also, I noticed that the shock absorber has been rubing with something and the paint was buffed out.

I have not yet aligned the car. As I want to get the thump fixed before I pay for one. Can the shock absorber be rubbing because of the bad alignemnt. The rub is on the top half of it. Its about the size of a nickel.

Any help greatly appreciated.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
The rubbing on the shock, is it on the tire side of the shock? Could just be the top of the tire rubbing it in tight turns.

As for the thump, check your bearings. The other thing to check (and this is a long shot) is the mounting points of the shock. I had one on the rear that did not completely compress the rubber grommet at the top and it would make a thump whenever I backed out of my driveway. Drove me nuts until I finally found it.

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
The rubbing is in fact on the side of the tire. It probably is the tire. I just changed shocks so I'm pretty sure its not that. The noise is coming from the front.

How do I check my bearings. I'm new to suspension work.

Thanks.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Jack up the front of the car. Take the wheel in both hands and see if there is any movement/play up and down and/or side to side.

BTW, did you check your sway bar mounts to see if they were loose?

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
I did go ahead and checked the tires. Theres no movement.

I did check the sway bar mounts. They didn't appear lose. I will check them again.

What else would be a common noise maker.

Users who are viewing this thread