• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Racing a Convertible

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by Rb0891, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Rb0891

Rb0891 Well-Known Member Established Member

I realize track rules vary, but can anyone give me the download on general roll bar/cage rules for convertibles.

Been a long time since I have been to the track and used to be 11.99 and faster was a 6 point requirement. License at 9.99 and faster and some other stuff that I unfortunately never had to worry about...

2. Travismn

Travismn New Member Established Member

Hmm, I've been trying to search for this for a while now. Hopefully, someone could point us in the right direction.

3. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

The quick answer would be to check with your track.

4. JimCSHO

JimCSHO Well-Known Member Established Member

Convertibles under NHRA and IHRA rules need a 6 point when they are quicker than 13.49 in the quarter mile. Very different rule than the coupe (or motorcycle).

Of course some tracks are more consistent/insistent on enforcing the rule.

5. Black02GT

Black02GT *Not 2KBlackGT Established Member

It's tough these days, I feel like the rules need to be re-visited and made more specific. A C7 ZO6 with a CAI needs a 6 point? A lot of stock cars wouldn't meet that requirement.

6. P49Y-CY

P49Y-CY fomoco, mofo Established Member

definitely depends on how each track's tech is going to enforce it. they made a big change to the rules for post-2008 cars iirc, in that they allow no roll bars - as long as the car is completely bone stock. otherwise as jimcsho said, technically nhra rules require a bar at 13.49.

but in my experience most tracks aren't really that strict. i also noticed that once i put in a styling bar (which offers no real protection at all) they were okay with my car running mid-11's. it was like they were cool as long as they saw something lol.

7. Rb0891

Rb0891 Well-Known Member Established Member

Thanks all for the feedback