Raced an 03 corvette tonight - very surprised at results

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Just got off work late tonight and as im pulling out I pull up right next to a black 2003 corvette. We run through town just messing with each other until we get out onto the two lane highway, and here's where it gets interesting. We roll up next to each other both doing about 30 and gun it, at around 70 I start to pull on him and I just hold that lead all the way to 150. I figured he missed a gear or something, so we go again from maybe 50ish, same result. We pull into a gas station a few miles later and get out. He tells me his mods are only catback, midpipe, cai, and a mild cam. So why do I beat him in my 98 cobra w/ only, catback, midpipe, cai, imrc delete, and pp intake? I was surprised so I had to look up some factory specs. He should be 350/375 @ 3246lbs. Where as im 305/300 @ 3375.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Anything can happen on the streets but that's kinda hard to believe

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Obviously your a better driver, Good Kill. It's nice when the other driver is a good sport about it, you end up meeting some interesting people that way.

2 cam sam

Established Member
If its a 03 with a Ls2 he should have killed you. I've ran the stock Ls1 vettes and there not that fast stock but an Ls2 with a cam should have put bus lengths on you.

19935.slow

Established Member
If its a 03 with a Ls2 he should have killed you. I've ran the stock Ls1 vettes and there not that fast stock but an Ls2 with a cam should have put bus lengths on you.

Who mentioned an ls2? Anyways, a bolt on c5 non-z06 would have done work on that year cobra, let aloned a cammed one.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Who mentioned an ls2? Anyways, a bolt on c5 non-z06 would have done work on that year cobra, let aloned a cammed one.

To make matters worse, I was on my "gas saving" tune, not my race. The old owner did tell me the car was possessed when i bought it

Jaa1456

Established Member
Yea, you didn't beat the car, just the driver. I have a bone stock Auto 04 vert and have beaten Cobras from those years on the highway.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Good kill... iv killed those cars before... plenty of times on bolt ons... now they arnt in my league

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

I thought Vettes didn't get the LS2 until 05....where did you get LS2 out of this story?

Anyhow, there is probably something wrong with his car..... or like the others said you beat the driver. A win is a win though:beer:

Yea, you didn't beat the car, just the driver. I have a bone stock Auto 04 vert and have beaten Cobras from those years on the highway.

Another LSX comedian..... if you're beating 03/04 Cobras in a STOCK 04 auto vert YOU are most definitely beating the driver and not the car. This post makes me:lol:

Last edited:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1, anything happens on the streets and you beat the driver or the car has a problem. But still nice race.

Stopsign32v

Established Member

:lol1: I was walking stock C5's when I had a basic bolt on/geared 99 Cobra. Low 13 seconds with a 2.0 60' was all it took to take down a C5 on the street.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Another LSX comedian..... if you're beating 03/04 Cobras in a STOCK 04 auto vert YOU are most definitely beating the driver and not the car. This post makes me:lol:

Just like how the OP thinks his bolton cobra can stick with cammed C5's... Right? I thought anything can happen on the streets....

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Man clearly stated that it was in regards to sn-95 cobras.

Go back and look..... he says Cobras from those years. If he's got an 04 I figured he was talking about 03/04 Cobras - my fault for not reading more clearly- HIS fault for not stating more clearly.

Just like how the OP thinks his bolton cobra can stick with cammed C5's... Right? I thought anything can happen on the streets....

He didn't say that- he said he was surprised that he did hang. And most of us agree.

Last edited:

justinschmidt1

Established Member
Those vettes are tough to shake, especially from a roll...I have a hard time shaking them with a blower and I trap 121 mph...I seriously think this dude was in like 5th gear racing you from 30 mph or something...lol

Users who are viewing this thread