raced a s-10 with a 350 last night

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
We were cruising though town last night and a bright red chevy s-10 pulled up to the light next to us. I just took delivery of my 2001 white gt coupe about a week ago and haven't done much racing lately so i jumped on the opportunity. We cruised along through dwntown slow talkin back and forth,he said he had a 350 in it and it sounded mega-mean. so we fooled around there and then went out to the local race spot outside of town a bit. I let my passenger out and we lined up at the red light. i flipped off my traction control,revved to about 3 grand and dumped it like an idiot. traction was problematic to say the least but I still smoked him by 3-4 car lengths. I've heard the new gt's are gutless from the factory but I was pretty satisfied. Any comments?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
If a High 13 sec car is gutless....then I'd hate to see what you'd call mine!!

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by TTAFB_SVT
i flipped off my traction control,revved to about 3 grand and dumped it

Don't do much street racing do you?

Good kill

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
If a High 13 sec car is gutless....then I'd hate to see what you'd call mine!!
A GoKart! :D

Whoever said the '99-up GTs are "gutless" doesn't know much about modern metal. I've only had the chance to run one, and that was from a roll, and I didn't put more than a car length on him from 40-100...

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Torris? Torkay? er, I mean Tack.......F@ck what is it you were saying? What is it? :D

Originally posted by wheelspin
They once again have torque! (Repeat after me: Torque is your friend...) :D

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
You are correct. As I said I haven't done much racing. What would be the best way to take off in this particular car. Any help would be appreciated.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
You are correct. As I said I haven't done much racing. What would be the best way to take off in this particular car. Any help would be appreciated.
Launch from the highest RPM possible, without losing traction. Feather the clutch (push it back in, slightly) to regain traction, if you break loose. Here's the best part:

Practice, practice, practice, practice....:D:D:D

wheelspin

Established Member
Ramp it up to about 2000-2500, whatever works, and let the clutch out quick, but don't step off it. With practice you will feel the wiehgt transfer to the rear of the car, as soo as it does you can nail it. Practice practice. I ran 14.4 in my brother's 89 GT just about threee weeks ago, and he could only muster a 15.2 in the same car. The driver is the best bang for the buck mod you can make. :D

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by wheelspin
Ramp it up to about 2000-2500, whatever works, and let the clutch out quick, but don't step off it. With practice you will feel the wiehgt transfer to the rear of the car, as soo as it does you can nail it. Practice practice. I ran 14.4 in my brother's 89 GT just about threee weeks ago, and he could only muster a 15.2 in the same car. The driver is the best bang for the buck mod you can make. :D

Really depends on the driver.........

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member

Personally, on the street with 3.27's I would launch at just under 2K and keep it steady until the weight settled then nail it. With 3.73's I come off at about 1100 - 1200 :dw: , thats why I'm getting some 315 DR's!!!!!!!!!
cool2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread