race gas in a GT Mustang by mistake

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
The only potential harm from race fuel would be long term and only if it is leaded.Then,the only issue would be o2's and converters. A few gallons would not harm anything and do nothing but make your exhaust smell better.Being the vehicle is fuel inj. the generally higher specific gravity would not affect fuel richness since the comp. would tune that out with lt. and st fuel trims.

The failure was going to occur anyway unless this is some old ass race gas that has gone bad.jmo

Like I said , I don't know anything about race gas , so any information I could gather is from forums. I don't know what to believe. haha. It could have been bad gas . He didn't do any pulls with the race gas in the tank , It stalled out about a mile from his house .

Last edited:

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
He is going to replace the fuel pump and I am sure that will fix the problem . From the information I have read, the race fuel would not have done any harm . Thanks for all of the input .

Mustangdanny97

Over the years , I have i have used leaded and unleaded race fuel.

It IS NOT common to fowl plugs, and it won't plug injectors.
Way to much WRONG information.

The only thing that will happen most assuredly if one (weather it was you or your buddy) puts leaded fuel in a catalytic converter vehicle , is mess up the converter.

Mustangdanny97

Can I run 110 octane sunoco in my 97 gt with bama tune for 93 octane? I'm running a bunch of mods.150 shot,going 24lbs injectors,255lph fuel pump,off road h pipe. Will it screw the o2 sensors up quickly? Or should I go with unleaded race fuel?

Users who are viewing this thread