Race gas explosion temps?

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
What im trying to figure out is if its even possible for race gas to explode being in something like a shed? I know it can get real hot inside one, hot enough to make the drum swell but i just dont think its possible for anythign to get hot enough for it to explode? These are in fully lined steel drums so im not worried but i just want to double check.

EnglishAdam

Established Member
Chill out.

Nothing is going to explode unless your storage cans start to vent gas fumes into the atmosphere and THEN you have a source of ignition.
Don't get confused between the flash point and the auto ignition point.
The flash point is the temp where the gas will give of fumes (evaporate) and that may form a combustible mixture. This is -45 degF.
The auto ignition point of gas is +475 degF so you shed would need to be getting pretty toasty to ignite the fumes in there.

If it really still concerns you, consider keeping the storage cans in an insulated case (like a big cool box) or at least out of direct sunlight.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Vapors are the real concern. Is the shed vented? You might want to think about that.

We always kept gas for the lawn mower in my parents garage when i was a kid. And that was in Fl.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
Ya its vented...so im not really concerned...i was just someone knew the temp that it would need to get to before anythign bad could happen. I dont even think its possible to get to 475* in there. Or else i would melt as i went in there myself. Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread