Race car opinions?

SVTContique

Hey guys, me and my friend have been tinkering with the idea of building up a cheap race car. I dont really mean a race race car, i mean like an autocross car/solo one car. Would also probably rally cross it as well.

At first i thought we should get a busted SVt and throw a 3L in it and tinker with that, but the more i think about it, the more i remember how much it sucks working on these cars, plus it would cost a decent amount to make it decently bulletproof (diff and clutch at least)

It would also be more fun to have a RWD car, especially for winter autocross and rally cross.

Basically the idea is to get a cheapish car, strip the whole thing, do some motor work, some suspension work, brakes etc. Then just throw a cage in it, and racing seats and go froggy. Plus it would save me wasting a bunch of cash into my Cobra.

Paint isnt an issue cause its going to be worked on all the time. we wont really care.

So ideas???

here is what i have so far:

Old 3 series
SVT contour
Old 240SX (possible SR20 swap down the road)

Car would have to be a manual as well.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I picked up a 98 E36 328is for 2k recently. It has a truckload of miles (206k), but the car runs really well, and it is plenty quick.

I've had it at a few of our autocrosses, and the car is quite capable, but it would be better if it had an LSD, which I hear some have and most do not. This open diff is kind of a bummer on the tighter turns.....especially on the stock suspension. The unloaded tire is WAY unloaded. I love the car though. If the cooling system parts have been replaced recently, as well as the bushings and front control arms....(assuming the car has the aluminum ones) the cars are pretty much bullet proof.

I'm willing to bet with less than 1k in parts and really good tires, it could be decent D-stock car.

My Cobra destroys it in every conceivable way, but the E36 is way better balanced, is really good on gas, and is still very fun to drive.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Throw an LS1 in an RX7.

If you are budget constrained throw in an LT1. That will leave you with a less than 2800# full interior car with nearly 50/50 weight distribution and 300+hp for under $5000.

Obviously the LS1 is more power, a little lighter, and more expensive.

IMG00056.jpg

IMG00057.jpg

IMG00058.jpg

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Cheapest way to build a race car is to let someone else build it/front the initial cost of parts/labor. Find a used race car for sale and buy it.

Cheap and race car < can those two words even be used in the same sentence?

Race car for under $3k. Cheap, Reliable, Fast. Pick two options. See what Im getting at?

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Light, nimble, fast and cheap is the way to go. Like others said previously...The Miata and RX-7 make great track cars. When you get bored with their stock powerplants down the road...just drop in a V-8!!!

A shop down the street from me has a first generation RX-7 with an older Vette LT1 motor...something like 2200 lbs and 300+ HP. The engine looks so at home under the hood and he even kept the stock wheels and a stock looking tailpipe...what a friggin' sleeper!!!

:burnout:

Later...Dave

Last edited:

drew_shipley

Bullitt Driver
Established Member
One item to note on the V8 RX7 comment. One of my good friends has a FC RX7 GXL with a LT-1 and T-56 out of a 93 F-Body and with the RX7 FC Turbo II Rear End. You might want to take some time to think about what you want to do with the car and see which car is the best fit. For example... if you're wanting a competitive SCCA Solo car then you should note a V8 RX7 will instantly put you into the XP class. The only reason I say this is my friend is getting more and more into SCCA Solo, but the XP class is a tough class to compete in and requires a good amount of funding to do so and this is beginning to frustrate him.

Users who are viewing this thread