R888r vs mt et SS

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Toyo Proxes TQ. Assuming this will be an 18" rim since you mentioned 305? TQ comes in a 315/35/18. Run them at 25psi on the street or a few psi less for your power level. They'll be good in the rain and dry traction is great. I've done 60mph on the highway in a downpour with these and the rearend never lost traction.

badmpg03

Established Member
Toyo Proxes TQ. Assuming this will be an 18" rim since you mentioned 305? TQ comes in a 315/35/18. Run them at 25psi on the street or a few psi less for your power level. They'll be good in the rain and dry traction is great. I've done 60mph on the highway in a downpour with these and the rearend never lost traction.

+1 on r888

try them at full 32-34 psi first have run tq and 888's and noticed they griped better for me properly inflated,

badmpg03

Established Member
I'd like some feedback on this as well. How much wheel hop would the tires alone eliminate, without any suspension upgrades?

I have FTBR kit, R888 hops pretty bad on sticky track, but I have had hop with any street tire / NT05 / NTO1R
On the street not much hop at all with them

Really is hard to see someone not liking the r888r/r888. You might prefer something different in the future after experiencing them, but it's not like you are making a mistake by getting them.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Toyo Proxes TQ. Assuming this will be an 18" rim since you mentioned 305? TQ comes in a 315/35/18.

I feel like the TQ's are a hidden gem that are often overlooked.
Everyone raves about the R888's, but I personally wasn't all that impressed. They look cool, but that's about it. Need some sidewall pliability to lay power down effectively.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Do u really care all that much how the tire is gonna handle? Its an 04 Cobra bro not a GT 350. Ur car is made and built to go fast straight! Get the MT DR it will handle just fine in the corners but give u the grip u need to hopefully not end up in the woods. 700 whp is a lot of power.

The r888 will make u the winner at a road course while being timed but other than that u should be more concerned with wheel spin not corning ability.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I've used both over the last (3) years and I find the Hoosier is a little sticker believe it or not but the MT lasted a lot longer so if u drive ur car a LOT then id say the MT. Otherwise the Hoosier is no joke!

But like any DR tire ask 10 ppl and get 10 different answers cause everyone's setup is different.

As far as staright line traction goes how bout the Hoosiers?

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
My last set of MT ET SS sucked compared to the ET Street IIs I had before. I’m def changing brands.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
M/T. No comparison, I’ve ran both. I’m one of the few on here that thinks r888’s are as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

badmpg03

Established Member
M/T. No comparison, I’ve ran both. I’m one of the few on here that thinks r888’s are as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Yeah pretty useless, I would be shocked if the 2500hp lambos and 1700hp vipers still run them this year at TX2K, like they did last year, and the year before that, and before that

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I have FTBR kit, R888 hops pretty bad on sticky track, but I have had hop with any street tire / NT05 / NTO1R
On the street not much hop at all with them

Really is hard to see someone not liking the r888r/r888. You might prefer something different in the future after experiencing them, but it's not like you are making a mistake by getting them.

Same here i have the FTBR kit as well, pushing 630 rwhp and run the r888, on cold days i can get wheel hop really bad, but with lower tire psi (28-29 psi) and warmer days car either spins or hooks good.

I have also ran the Toyo TQ and have had good results. The Nitto 555 i break loose from a 2nd gear roll easily! Never tried the Mickey SS tire but was considering getting this summer.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Yeah pretty useless, I would be shocked if the 2500hp lambos and 1700hp vipers still run them this year at TX2K, like they did last year, and the year before that, and before that
Not as shocked as I will be when I see an r888 equipped x275 car go 4.30’s like the Mickey does. M&H & M/T are superior, no question.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
When you’re talking about a STREET tire for only STREET use, the Toyo or Nitto are the only 2 that actually will handle worth a sh!t on highway runs, handle decent or get any mileage.
For your described use, I’d recommend the 315/35/18 Toyo TQ or the 315/40/18 NT05R if you have the room.
-J

badmpg03

Established Member
Not as shocked as I will be when I see an r888 equipped x275 car go 4.30’s like the Mickey does. M&H & M/T are superior, no question.

Superior for what dude... guys asking about 700whp he classified as a street car in post
how would a race car on a prepped track running 4.30's with 1500+hp be relevant to that lol? right tool for the job.

but race cars have gone 250+mph in the standing 1/2 mile with them. On street tire. Not a soft sidewall drag radial you can only go straight with.
You like M/T's which is fine i'm not dogging them, but calling toyo's ashtray tires is just funny to me

and FYI when mine were new and warmed up, they put down all of 2nd gear with 800+whp, and its f*ing glorious :)

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I feel like the TQ's are a hidden gem that are often overlooked.
Everyone raves about the R888's, but I personally wasn't all that impressed. They look cool, but that's about it. Need some sidewall pliability to lay power down effectively.
Say what? How much power are we talking about? Plenty of us guys around 700 rwhp running r888 and get full traction on a 2nd gear 40 mph roll.

I don't see any cobra making 700 rwhp getting full traction from a dig on a non prepped road. And I'm talking about drag radials and street tires.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Stage 4.6

Established Member
My (r888) are a bit worn and that may contribute to the traction problem lately, they will need replacement this summer especially after I do the E conversion, but again my car can break them loose from a second gear roll.

In my opinion they are good tires TQ or r888, but really we cant knock on the Mickey Thompson either, these guys are like the pioneers of racing tires.

When i track my car i usually mount my ET/street bias ply drag set up and rarely have traction issues unless it was related to tire psi.

I am curious to see how the MT/SS wheels work on the street. Kind of like there tread pattern as well. Hopefully handling wont be too compromised as some say?

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Say what? How much power are we talking about? Plenty of us guys around 700 rwhp running r888 and get full traction on a 2nd gear 40 mph roll.Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

551whp at the time. Maybe I got an old crusty pair? lol Strictly street use so if we're talking track, my opinion is out the window. The TQ's went on with the addition of 60whp and she still hooked up better. The 888's in 315/30 I had also start to border on that rubber band look depending on how much the car is lowered. I've got H&R race springs, but all the iso's installed so they left a fair amount of fender gap. I dunno. Maybe I'm just exception.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
On the street, to me the most important question to ask is “which tire needs the least heat / shortest warmup to hook?”

I’ve got a set of nitto 555r’s and they’re useless and greasy most of the time. Boiling them on the street before a blast down a straight is too impractical for my tastes....so which one needs the least heat?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread