R888r vs mt et SS

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Getting new wheels made
Would like to run a 305 wide tire.
The r888r is 26.3 overall height
Mt are 27 overall height

I run e85 and somewhere just north of 700 rwhp with my 2.9 Whipple.

It's only a street car. Mostly straight line driving, country roads and car shows. See rain maybe twice a year on accident. Mainly when nice out. I will drive in spring and fall if it's 40 outside and no salt on the roads
2-4k miles a summer

Which tire do you all suggest for street car?

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
If you want ALL the traction, et. If you want handling, R8.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
They are more than adequate. But the R8s are the shit.

If you are planning on street racing / hustling, definitely go with the ETs. If you just want to enjoy the car for you, I’d say R8s.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
555R would be a nice middle ground. Very similar traction to the R8 and handles better than the ET.

GodStang

Established Member
If you want ALL the traction, et. If you want handling, R8.

Basically this. I run the tires that became the ET S/S. They get good traction but more straight line than anything. Not a huge fan of them if I get caught in the rain. I am looking at the r888 for my all around tires.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Driven a Whipple Cobra with the ETs and it GRIPPED, but it got sketchy after 120mph (vert. with no good handling mods).

555Rs/R8s should give you traction in 2nd gear (if warmed up).

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
^ all this, what Zyborg stated
I've ran the R888 but went back to NT555R bc $. Not much of a difference on the street between these two, imo

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
^ all this, what Zyborg stated
I've ran the R888 but went back to NT555R bc $. Not much of a difference on the street between these two, imo

Depends what's you're doing. I run 888 in the rear and 888R in the front simply cause I like the regular R888 tread better and doesnt matter on a SLA car. Same tire anyway.

Long story short R888 have way stiffer sidewall vs a 555R, you can run them on all 4 which makes the car pretty insane in the corners and breaking too. DR always feel mushy in the corners due to the soft sidewall compared to a road race tire like the Toyos.

MG0h3

Established Member
My car sounds similar. 2.9 on E @20psi.

I ran the ET Street IIs first. I liked them and they would slip a bit in 2nd but still be fighting and biting.

Replaced with the new SS and either I got a bad/dry set or they just aren’t as good. They are supposed to be the same compound but I can rarely get them to hold in 2nd. I can blow them off in 2nd at will and it will never hook back up.

At your power level you’re likely going to need to run a lower psi (I’m down around 24).

Seems like everyone reports better performance at similar power levels so some of this may be temp and road conditions. Usually in the 40s when I’m out and it’s often windy and dusty here.

Considering a diff tire next time.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Albatross

Established Member
Great thread! I have been looking at the MT et street ss, 555r and the r888r also.

Driven a Whipple Cobra with the ETs and it GRIPPED, but it got sketchy after 120mph (vert. with no good handling mods).

555Rs/R8s should give you traction in 2nd gear (if warmed up).

I have heard the MTs can get scary unstable at 120+ mph. ZYBORG, are the MTs really that bad at high speeds? It's disappointing because I have also heard they hook like nothing else. Is the 555r the next best option for a combination of good traction and high speed stability? How is the straight line traction of the 555r compared to the MT?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I had 555r with only 455 rwhp and traction in 2nd gear was hit or miss. Night and day difference with r888. And they lasted much longer. The Toyo run wider than the Nittos as well. I hated the 555r.

I'm around 700 rwhp and generally get traction on a 40 hit. If temps are 50 or cooler then it becomes tougher.

Here is a video on 19lbs. I now run 21lbs.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

R888 on the street with a quick warmup in the dirty shoulder.

Mind the belt slip up top, IC tank was
Micro cracked from storage misting the belt.

And embarrassed of the shifting, 2nd day after 2 years no manual.

That hard shift 1-2 hook is impressive in my book for a non-DR
rear end is on cut Eibachs... Bilstein shocks, not a drag pack.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Great thread! I have been looking at the MT et street ss, 555r and the r888r also.

I have heard the MTs can get scary unstable at 120+ mph. ZYBORG, are the MTs really that bad at high speeds? It's disappointing because I have also heard they hook like nothing else. Is the 555r the next best option for a combination of good traction and high speed stability? How is the straight line traction of the 555r compared to the MT?

the whipple cobra I drove (for about 1 week) was a vert on stock suspension and about 600 rwhp. At 120+ it felt like I was floating. Not a comfy feeling. But they good traction through first. All the grip in 2nd.

555Rs are more stable at higher speeds but not as grippy. At 600 rwhp on my 14 Shelby, it had traction in second and some of first (depending on the road).

Albatross

Established Member
Are you guys getting any wheel hop with the r888r? I've heard a very stiff sidewall may have that effect.

Users who are viewing this thread