quieting down a bypass valve

B0B

Established Member
other than routing it back into the intake, does anyone know of a good way to quiet down a bypass valve? i'm using two procharger bypasses and they are ridiculous, it sounds like i'm driving a jet around. i like the sound and stuff but it gets old real quick. i was thinking about merging the two into a hose and running it along the bottom of the car somewhere and letting it exit out the back. i dunno if it will work but i know theres gotta be a way!

THAITED

Established Member
Since you have a blowthrough set up, I don't think you can cycle it back into the S/C intet pipe. I could be wrong though.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You can route it back to the inlet tube. It won't hurt anything. I ran a hose on mine and had it exit under the car. It helped quiet things down. I've also wondered about the air filters for dirt bikes. They might muffle the noise a bit.

HorsePwrAddicts

Established Member
Its just the nature of the beast. I have put a filter on the outlet which qieted it down some. Or you could rought the exits down below. Either way you will still hear it.

B0B

Established Member
i'm thinking about running a tube and stuffing it full of foam or something and putting a filter on the end.. anyone have any reason why this wouldn't work? i pretty much don't even care if i can't hear it at all when i shift

Furinox

Established Member
i'm thinking about running a tube and stuffing it full of foam or something and putting a filter on the end.. anyone have any reason why this wouldn't work? i pretty much don't even care if i can't hear it at all when i shift

You don't want the bypass to be too restrictive or you will start getting compressor surge from the head unit impeller trying to spin the other way. Really hard on the head units.

2V99GT

SVT God
Established Member
no.

B0B

Established Member
You don't want the bypass to be too restrictive or you will start getting compressor surge from the head unit impeller trying to spin the other way. Really hard on the head units.

good to know.. what about just a filter?

i think my best bet would be route a hose to the back of the car and let it go out back there

65fastback2+2

Established Member
i loved the sound of mine....pretty much a rev at a red light and no one would mess with the car haha

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
When I was running my Vortech mondo recirculated back to the intake pipe, you could still hear it pretty good. I have a Tial 50mm BOV now and it's loud as hell. Doesn't bother me in the least though. You are gonna hear it no matter what you do.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
When I was running my Vortech mondo recirculated back to the intake pipe, you could still hear it pretty good. I have a Tial 50mm BOV now and it's loud as hell. Doesn't bother me in the least though. You are gonna hear it no matter what you do.

The mondo was noticeable when recirculating? I wish I could hear mine, I probably am going to upgrade soon.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
I had Procharger Big Red Race bypass recirculated to the intake. At 10psi you could hardly hear it. I run it open as there are many other unpleasant noises emanating from the head unit, the sound of airflow is much better.

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
My Novi 2000 is very loud blowing through my vortech mondo. It exits in front of my left wheel so I ran a hose up behind my fog light. I put one of those Superchargersonline filters on it and it did seem like it was acting as a restriction. Without the filter it is still quiter in the car but it sounds like a jet outside. I wish I could find a better way to quiet it down but I doubt there is anything else.

B0B

Established Member
you guys know how some people route their valve cover breathers into their exhaust? they say it helps suck the blowby out of the crankcase. i wonder if theirs a way to route the bypass hose to the exhaust? don't call me stupid, its just a thought.

i'm determined to quiet this down so i can barely hear it. maybe i can route it into an airbox behind the fender and put a filter on the end of an airbox or something. maybe i can rig something up with my stock intake and cone filter to have a hose routed to that and have it up under the front bumper (i took my bumper support out so theres a lot of room.

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
pics of the setup... why 2 bypass valves?

Was this question directed to me? If so, it accomplishes what one huge one does but spreads the flow such that it vents from each side of the IC Core. However, I found that the two small ones still didn't release enough air to remove the backpressure against the impeller on decel. If you have much boost you are better off with one big one at the output of the head unit.

No way to show pics easy becuase it was so cramed in there and it doesn't exist anymore in my car.

Users who are viewing this thread