Quick.....Should I use this or not???

FunkyBoss

Established Member
I would have posted this in my parts thread, but I was hoping for some quick opinions and thought a new thread would help. I was getting ready to install my new diff, however, upon further inspection I decided it would be best to replace the carrier bearings as the rollers on the old ones were pitted:
100_3808.jpg

After removing the bearings, I discovered two gashes on the carriers bearing surfaces:
100_3805.jpg

100_3802.jpg

So my question to you guys, is this carrier still usable? The guy I bought it from said the bearings were in great shape and didn't need replacing, but I beg to differ! I have two sets of new bearings already so I figured I'd do it right the first time.

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
you can still use the carrier , those marks are where someone cut the old bearings off....run over that surface with some emery cloth (lightly) and def press new bearings on ...be sure to lube the rollers /race with some gear oil

FunkyBoss

Established Member
Ok, I got everything back together but I have a problem. I'm getting a loud squealing noise when I take off and get on it hard, especially after making a turn. At first I though it may be the passanger side rear brakes, but I tore that all down and it looked fine. Once I got it back together it was still making the noise. I'm starting to wonder if I didn't lube the clutch packs up enough. I didn't even remove them, just squirted some oil down in there. Any ideas? Another question, are 28-spline and 31-spline c-clips the same? I used the c-clips from my 28-spline carrier in the new one as it didn't come with clips.

Users who are viewing this thread