Quick question

Z7What

Powered By Eaton
Established Member
Has anyone ever put on a 4lb pulley with a tune, while retaining the stock air filter box?

Many have with great results. I ran one for about 2 years! I honestly think the stock airbox setup provides get improvement of IATs over open filters.

Wayne

coild

Established Member
It's been done. What's the question?

Because a while back, I installed a K&N FIPK, and when you start the truck cold and put it in gear, it made this God awful hissing sound. It actually echoed off the neighbors house leaving for work in the morning. Only did it when it was put in gear.
Yes, I checked all fittings and connections and they were fine. Strange thing is; when it warmed up after a few minutes, the noise was barely heard. I posted a video about it, but no one seemed to have an answer.
I'll dig up the video and re-post it. Bottom line, it was so annoying, I went back to the stock airbox.
Anybody else with a FIPK have this issue?

coild

Established Member
Damn! Can't locate the video.
However, here is a response I received from K&N customer support:

Thank you for your interest in K&N products. The noise you are describing sounds normal. This is probably the sound of air passing by the throttle body blade. Your vehicle’s original intake components may have been designed to muffle these noises, by using resonator chambers, convoluted tubing, and a closed airbox. Your engine operates much more efficiently with your new K&N intake, with its open filter and high flow tube, and the noises which occur naturally within your engine are free to pass out into the open air, and can be more audible. If your intake system is installed as specified in the K&N installation instructions, then the sound is normal and cannot be changed.

If you have additional questions, please contact our Customer Support department at 1(800)858-3333.

Thanks for writing,

James Johnston
Technical & Customer Support Representative,
K&N Engineering, Inc.
[email protected]
Phone: (800) 858-3333

Users who are viewing this thread