Quick newb question!

Reaper14

Established Member
Hello all! Just in need of some info. Im looking for a new gen 2 coyote short block for my budget build. I found a couple of gen 2 short blocks near by brand new. I was wondering if there is a way to tell the differences between a gen 1 & a gen 2 from the outside before I make the long drive. Like a code or serial # or anything. I dont want to get made a fool of & end up with a gen 1. Any help is appreciated & thank you!

Vic

Silbult14

Established Member
Rods and pistons will be different. Pistons have bigger valve reliefs to accommodate the bigger valves in GenII heads and the rods are basically Boss 302 rods ie. beefier & stronger. Still powered metal ie. pressed sh%*. Crank will be balanced differently too since the rods and pistons are different. Might be hard to tell the difference between Gen I and Gen II just by looking unless you're really familiar with the appearance of Gen I stuff.

Reaper14

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I was really on the fence about this purchase. But after talking to my tuner, it seems its best for me to keep saving up for a full forged short block. Trying to get to a reliable 850whp on pump E.
Rods and pistons will be different. Pistons have bigger valve reliefs to accommodate the bigger valves in GenII heads and the rods are basically Boss 302 rods ie. beefier & stronger. Still powered metal ie. pressed sh%*. Crank will be balanced differently too since the rods and pistons are different. Might be hard to tell the difference between Gen I and Gen II just by looking unless you're really familiar with the appearance of Gen I stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread