Quick drag strip advice

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I'm going to the street legal drags tonight. Just need some quick advice.

The car is a stock 98 GT auto vert, a slow pig if you will. The only thing I've done to it is unbolt the stock exhaust from the H-pipe. Other than that, it's stock as shit.

I know I shouldn't do a huge burnout on street tires, just a slight bit to clean them off. They are Cooper Zeons or whatever, 245 wide on the stock 17 inch rims.

Any general advice would be awesome.

I'm ****ing excited. I'm hoping for mid 14s but I'm betting for a first timer I'll be low 15s, haha!

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Haha! Hopefully if I do they are of the V6 variety.

My friend with his 01 Cummins is coming as well. He has an Edge programmer dealy, straight through exhaust, and 35 inch Mickey Thompsons with a 3 or 4 inch lift. We'll finally get to see who's faster. We ran from a 30 roll yesterday and we dead even to 80.

I'm betting I get off the line quicker, but we'll keep the distance from then to the end.

Isn't it sad I have to compete with lifted trucks on 35s?

ford_racer said:
Haha! Hopefully if I do they are of the V6 variety.

My friend with his 01 Cummins is coming as well. He has an Edge programmer dealy, straight through exhaust, and 35 inch Mickey Thompsons with a 3 or 4 inch lift. We'll finally get to see who's faster. We ran from a 30 roll yesterday and we dead even to 80.

I'm betting I get off the line quicker, but we'll keep the distance from then to the end.

Isn't it sad I have to compete with lifted trucks on 35s?

You'll have a blast either way. Did you end up getting that job at the mine?

BTW, there are no V6 300Cs. :p

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
No. I work at O'Reilly Auto Parts now. I get discounts on everything. It kicks ass.

And you know what I meant about the 300s :beer:

Pewter99TransAm

Drive around the water box do a little burnout, drop theairin you tires round 20 to 30 until you find a sweet spot and nail the gas when the 2nd yellow light on the tree hits. Good luck.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Adjust air pressure, drive around the water box. You could yank the pass. seat, rear seat, spare, sway bar for some little tricks but I bet in your elevation you will be mid 15's at the fastest. I bet the cummins will own your ass on the launch, I know I mess with cars in your range with my stroker pretty well.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Uh, my car is really slow.

The best run was a 16.2 at 85.7 mph. .515 with a 2.5 60 foot.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

My friend and I ran on that run. He got a 16.0 at 86.3 mph with a .565 reaction time. I forget what his 60 foot time was, but it was better than mine.

It was a really good race, but he got me. Damnit. I need gears. 2.55s just don't cut it.

I'll scan the timeslip when I get home from work.

It was fun, but slow, hahahahaha.

I want a Cobra :(

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
ford_racer said:
Uh, my car is really slow.

The best run was a 16.2 at 85.7 mph. .515 with a 2.5 60 foot.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

My friend and I ran on that run. He got a 16.0 at 86.3 mph with a .565 reaction time. I forget what his 60 foot time was, but it was better than mine.

It was a really good race, but he got me. Damnit. I need gears. 2.55s just don't cut it.

I'll scan the timeslip when I get home from work.

It was fun, but slow, hahahahaha.

I want a Cobra :(

You should have 2.73s...Also, your 60' sucks.:D

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Ya think?

Not much I can do about the 60. It's an auto GT. I just stalled it up and dropped the hammer. No spinning or anything.

On the second run, I started spinning the tires in place before I let off the brake. Just got a little excited.

In order to improve my 60, I need some more freaking power and gears. Gears will help A LOT! I'm thinking 3.90s.

I don't want to put a whole lot of money in this car. It's kinda like polishing a turd, ya know. It's going to take a lot of money to make it fast, so I think I'll just save the money I'd put into making it fast for a car that is easier to make fast, like a Cobra or something.

At this point in time, I'd be happy with 14s :(

BTW the fastest car at the track was a 91 Foxbody with a turbo 350. Yes, a SBC. He was turning low 11s, and is definitely capable of high 10s.

Users who are viewing this thread