Quick alignment question

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
A few weeks ago we got the first snowfall of the year and even though it was only 3-4", predictably, people forgot how to drive on slick roads. Unfortunately, my girlfriend was one of them as she slid the right front wheel of her Civic into a curb. Afterwards the car was pulling hard to the left (I think) and there was a pretty serious shake in the steering wheel at speed so I figured it got knocked out of alignment and possibly a bent wheel.

She took it to Discount Tire as she had lifetime balancing and rotation there and they convinced her to get 2 new tires and they discovered the wheel was in fact bent. With new front tires and a new wheel, the car tracks pretty straight and doesn't have any shake in the steering wheel, even at 80 mph. Since Discount Tire doesn't do alignment, that never got done.

Should we still take it in for an alignment?

TL;DR version - car hit curb, bent wheel replaced, drives fine, should it still get an alignment?

EDIT - forgot to add, it was the stock steel wheel if that gives any indication how hard it hit the curb

Thanks guys :beer:

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If the car tracks straight and there is no vibration, I wouldn't worry. It's only like $50 for an alignment though so if you are concerned it's not a big deal to have it checked.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
a little bit off in toe/camber an slowly eat tires. So yes i would if it bothers you. At worse, it can eat a tire or two over time more than it should.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I'd at least set the toe. You can do this yourself pretty easily using the string method.

But yeah as bansheeman stated, if the toe has been effected, it'll eventually eat through the tires and you'll end up spending that money sooner. Best to get it done.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll keep an eye on tire wear in the coming months and go from there

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
NTB does a free alignment check, could always ask a few shops if they can do a free check without doing the alignment.

jfsram

Established Member
Cars do not get knocked out of alignment. Threads do not jump and cams do not turn, arms get bent or mounting points are distorted after hitting curbs. Its either messed up the caster or camber or its ok. Get it checked. Many shops have a lower price just to check and not correct.

As for you 2 new tires, they should be on the rear. In snow like conditions the car will track better. New on front and old on rear are more likely to oversteer in the snow.

Last edited:

TaraFirma

Established Member
I get every car I own aligned at Firestone. I get the lifetime alignment so I never have to pay for it again.
It's nation wide. I get it redone every time I get a new set of tires, change suspension, or make any change.
Off the truck, my GT500 was way out of alignment.

Users who are viewing this thread