Questions about the Electric F-150 'Lightning'

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I drove from the East coast to The Denver Metro Area 3 times. Twice from King George VA, once from Savannah GA.
Once in the Explorer ST.
Once in the I3turbo Focus.
Once in the 13’ GT500.

(Oddly enough I made the best time in the Explorer 21hrs and some change despite a minor set back of losing cruise and power steering and every other stupid ****ing accessory way back in the mountains of west VA due to a failed update on the computer system…. I was ****ing FURIOUS.)

Each trip was roughly 1700miles.

In each trip I was able to make it in about 22hrs non stop.

Each trip I stopped about every 300miles to piss and fuel up. Each stop probably took 5-10minutes.

This I don’t think will ever be possible with an EV.

With that said, I don’t know many people that will drive the distance I do. 1700miles in a full days drive is now, if you could clip off 600-700 miles in a day, sleep for the night and charge…. I think EVs would be a reasonable option for most.

This is something I plan to try out with the Lightning and record the data.

That would probably work for people who have an extra day to burn. When we were in the market for a tesla 3, we dug around forums and tried to gather all the info we could. When we go on weekend getaways, we drive (550 miles) and leave after work on Fridays. It already pushes us pretty late getting in, and with the charging schedules for a regular 3, it adds an additional 2.5 hours to the drive. Just not feasible without us taking a day off, and in that case we would probably leave an extra day early anyway lol.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Meh, it’s pretty tame. SA is boring for ordinary holidays. But it has its own set of holidays that are fun. IIRC you’re in GA and fireworks are legal, right? Then no different on the 4th and New Years.

Dude, not going to lie…I would run anywhere in town to just say what’s up and buy you a drink. My SVTP age is almost legal to buy beer, I owe you at least that much.

I’ll let you know if I have time. We’ll be finishing up at about 1pm tomorrow and my flight is at 4:30. Not much of a window there.

We stopped by the Pearl a few weeks ago to check it out. I think I was the only one in boots and jeans. That place is loaded with hipsters.

I shall be wearing boots and jeans.

Ford has done a lot of testing on Sandstone Mountain near me on 64. Test vehicles are seen there quite often. I cannot remember where I heard the 80 miles from but I think they were quoting a dealer in Summersville.

I’ve been known to do tow testing there.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
That would probably work for people who have an extra day to burn. When we were in the market for a tesla 3, we dug around forums and tried to gather all the info we could. When we go on weekend getaways, we drive (550 miles) and leave after work on Fridays. It already pushes us pretty late getting in, and with the charging schedules for a regular 3, it adds an additional 2.5 hours to the drive. Just not feasible without us taking a day off, and in that case we would probably leave an extra day early anyway lol.

Yup I agree. It’s not gonna make the most efficient vehicle for long distance trips. It checks all the boxes for me though. I need a truck, I need great gas mileage, I need AWD, I need a comfy commuter and a battery backup to the home seems pretty cool!

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
This confuses me. Why do they make electric vehicles look like their ICE equivalents? There's no need for the engine bay, and yet it has an engine bay turned into a silly frunk. With a blank design space, all these wanna-be BEV manufacturers are uninspired in creatively moving on. Audi's e-tron GT is beautiful, but looks just like an ICE. Could they also do no better?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
This confuses me. Why do they make electric vehicles look like their ICE equivalents? There's no need for the engine bay, and yet it has an engine bay turned into a silly frunk. With a blank design space, all these wanna-be BEV manufacturers are uninspired in creatively moving on. Audi's e-tron GT is beautiful, but looks just like an ICE. Could they also do no better?

I disagree with this. I understand your reasoning but still.

The best part for me about this truck is that it looks like a regular truck. For the longest time I wondered why they made hybrid/electric vehicles look terrible. Obviously things have changed in recent years but you don't have to go full Cyber truck just to prove it's electric. The F150 is able to use parts off of what we know works, and make it look just different enough that it looks like an electric vehicle.

A truck with a frunk isn't a problem for me, that actually would be a benefit. Not to mention crash safety standards probably still limit the manufacturers on design. Especially in front of the driver.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
But the frunk is useful as hell. What should they have done to change design?

decipha

Established Member
Give it a few years when these lightnings are running 7s in the 1/4. A set of slicks, a battery upgrade a tune and an motor rewound and its over with.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
But the frunk is useful as hell. What should they have done to change design?
A bigger, longer bed, which is the entire reason for a truck to begin with. A more cab forward design with more/better/ unique in cab storage for more purpose and utility.

The only reason a truck looks like a truck is because of the ICE up front. No more ICE should mean better utilization of volume for it's primary purpose: hauling cargo. My opinion is that all trucks are ugly as ****, as are the big SUV buses, but they serve a purpose. Maximize that purpose.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
A bigger, longer bed, which is the entire reason for a truck to begin with. A more cab forward design with more/better/ unique in cab storage for more purpose and utility.

The only reason a truck looks like a truck is because of the ICE up front. No more ICE should mean better utilization of volume for it's primary purpose: hauling cargo. My opinion is that all trucks are ugly as ****, as are the big SUV buses, but they serve a purpose. Maximize that purpose.
Sounds like something a pre schooler would draw
d3EHesRt-fmnryls2W-sG4zPkCBA7mNYNX0voIrFe0A.jpg

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Ford has done a lot of testing on Sandstone Mountain near me on 64. Test vehicles are seen there quite often. I cannot remember where I heard the 80 miles from but I think they were quoting a dealer in Summersville.
Well we all know that dealers don't know shit about what they sell, soooo...

TORQUERULES

Established Member

Bring back the Econoline truck?

Attachments

• c6e07222d8f1b523c110877596a03961.jpg
    c6e07222d8f1b523c110877596a03961.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 35

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

But that isn’t necessarily the purpose of this truck. I have the smallest bed (5.5’) on my truck and I still do truck shit with it. Granted hauling some 10’ sticks is sketch. But that has occurred maybe 4 times in the 4 years I’ve had my truck. Much more often I’ve filled my cab with shit I don’t want open to the elements. Then a frunk provides element safe and prying eye safe storage. Going to the gym before school/work becomes an option as my bag with all my expensive shit isn’t just chillin in plain sight for an opportunist to steal my shit.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
But that isn’t necessarily the purpose of this truck. I have the smallest bed (5.5’) on my truck and I still do truck shit with it. Granted hauling some 10’ sticks is sketch. But that has occurred maybe 4 times in the 4 years I’ve had my truck. Much more often I’ve filled my cab with shit I don’t want open to the elements. Then a frunk provides element safe and prying eye safe storage. Going to the gym before school/work becomes an option as my bag with all my expensive shit isn’t just chillin in plain sight for an opportunist to steal my shit.
1651840227278.gif

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Frunk, a new word for Webster Dictionary. lol

Some of us have been frunking around since the 1930's
-Dr. Porsche

While I get what you're saying, that would negate the entire purpose of this truck and increase it base price substantially. It's an F-150 and shares multiple parts with a regular F-150.

It's not for me and couldn't replace my personal '19 (I road trip a lot ) or my company '21 (300+ mile days sometimes) it has it's place.
But for someone like my dad who is semi-retired and has a house in SC. It would be perfect for him to replace his GLS. He could Home Depot around, pull his trailer to get mulch and stone, and it's still nice enough to go out on the town. And since he hasn't bought a generator yet like I've been telling him to do, when the next hurricane hits he could back feed his panel and have electric.

Users who are viewing this thread