Questions about registering a rebuilt title vehicle from out of state seller.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
DMV's offices are closed. I won't make any move until I talk to a representative there, but the situation seems like it could be rather sticky, so I just wanted to get SVTPs opinions on how to navigate this.

I'm in Iowa.
The seller and the car in question is in Delaware.

The car is a 2001 Mustang Cobra, which at some point in the past had a Terminator Cobra conversion, including interior, drivetrain, and exterior.

Since the dash cluster and odometer were exchanged as part of this conversion, there are obviously discrepencies in the mileage, but the situation gets a little bit more difficult, because at some point, the car in question (after the conversion) was in a wreck that resulted in the air bags going off - frame was not affected. Owner decides to rebuild it because it's not just a stock 2001 Cobra, it's got all types of goodies and work done and the owner justifies rebuilding. The owner has receipts for all the work done, and the vehicle is back to its original glory, with a rebuilt title. It's been on the road for what appears to be roughly 30k miles if I recall correctly since the repairs were performed. Now the owner is selling and the car is listed for a reasonable price given it's rebuilt title and the amount of modifications.

The problem is, from what I'm reading, if I understand this correctly, getting this vehicle titled in Iowa could be quite a chore, but I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding things or if my worries are exaggerated.

1.) It sounds like a DMV "inspector" has to look over the vehicle to ensure there are no stolen parts. I'm not sure if this inspection is only for vehicles when they're originally getting a rebuilt title, for instance if it was purchased wrecked out of state and then brought into Iowa for the repairs to be performed, or if it is applicable for titling cars originally titled out of state regardless of whether it is still wrecked, or if because the car already has a rebuilt title in Delaware if that will transfer over without problems. As you can imagine, given the amount of conversion work done on the car, I have no idea how an inspector would substantiate anything. From what I'm reading on this page, it sounds like because it's coming from out of state that I would have to do the inspection - I'm just worried it wouldn't pass given the aftermarket parts, conversion parts from the 2003 Cobra, and the odometer reading being off due to the converted dash cluster.

2.) It appears I would also need an affidavit or repairs. Would I just get this from the previous owner? I don't exactly understand what this is requesting. Would I just get a contract from the owner as an affidavit that says, yes, this vehicle was repaired. I assume that it must be notarized.

3.) Bill of sale for components and parts replaced. I'm guessing receipts from anything and everything applicable would work. And again, if the owner doesn't have absolutely everything, does that mean it can't be registered.

Here's where I've been reading: http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/vehicleregistration/salvage.html

Iowa is typically pretty relaxed on so many things when it comes to titling vehicles, and so from that it seems to me as long as I do due diligence and make sure I navigate the waters correctly and get receipts from the previous owner that everything should go without a hitch...but I'm just afraid that if things don't go perfectly, I'll be stuck with a vehicle from a seller half a country away that I can't register.

Assuming I feel like this can be done, I'll fly out to take a look at it, but I just want to make sure I've got these ducks in a row before getting to invested in checking the car out further. I don't want to end up making flights or constant snail mail back and forth, and the potential for paperwork to be lost to result in losing several thousand dollars.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Last edited:

Regulars520

Established Member
Not how it works. If he has already had it re titled as rebuilt then you will register it like any other car. If it is not titled rebuilt and is still in the salvage title state then you will have to have it inspected. As long as it is already re titled as rebuilt and NOT salvage then you should be issue free. Mileage will be marked as "exceeds mechanical limits" if the odometer is not accurate

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Not how it works. If he has already had it re titled as rebuilt then you will register it like any other car. If it is not titled rebuilt and is still in the salvage title state then you will have to have it inspected. As long as it is already re titled as rebuilt and NOT salvage then you should be issue free. Mileage will be marked as "exceeds mechanical limits" if the odometer is not accurate

Thanks, as I reread it third time, I realized I didn't notice the section that said "rebuilt titles out of state carry forward". Thanks though!

Users who are viewing this thread