Questions about charging system

SCALILOU

Established Member
So I've had a few weird issues with my car recently with start up. It kinda hesitates when it's cold when before it fired right up with ferocity lol.
After a minute or so, it idles and drives perfect just like stock.

I have a Duralast Gold battery that's about 1.5 years old. I checked it with a multimeter and it showed 12.4 volts with engine off, 10-11 volts during cranking, and 14.7 at idle. Seems OK.

So I went to drop in a new set of brisk plugs gapped at Kenne Bell recommended. 35 like I had before , but while changing plugs, I noticed 2 of my COPs on passenger side were cracked across the top. Being that they are the original coils, I wasn't shocked.

I ordered a new set of Ford Cops and they're on the way, but I started to think, "well my car is 14 years old, so why not upgrade a few things while putting in new ignition parts. So I've decided to upgrade the charging system thinking maybe my alternator might be going out which is also original. (I bought car used 3 years ago with 20,000 miles on it so alternator may have been replaced at some point by previous owner, but it looks old like an ancient artifact)

I was thinking of the 130 Amp PA Performance alternator with the wire upgrade

Mods :
Kenne Bell 2.8 lc
Brisk plugs
75 Kenne Bell TB
Dual Kenne Bell BAPS
Gimmie 5 intake
Everything else is stock
20210927_165643.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like you might have already solved your weird issues. Cracked COP's are never a good thing and would definitely cause weird issues. PA not a bad choice for an updated alternator neither is J2 fab or nations. If you need to have some new cables upgraded which you will if you go to a higher amp alternator. Check this guy out to have some made. Really cool dude and does outstanding quality work https://racecarservices.com/

SCALILOU

Established Member
Sounds like you might have already solved your weird issues. Cracked COP's are never a good thing and would definitely cause weird issues. PA not a bad choice for an updated alternator neither is J2 fab or nations. If you need to have some new cables upgraded which you will if you go to a higher amp alternator. Check this guy out to have some made. Really cool dude and does outstanding quality work https://racecarservices.com/
Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

XP900

Established Member
I started looking into a replacement alternator since I have more than the stock load on my car now.

I am confused as to the wiring cables supplied by Nations, Racecarservices.com and J2 Fab and PA. The kits are not all the same. Nations seems to only show two cables in their kits (both with battery ends, pos and neg, and a fuse inline on the +. But no mention of an additional or replacement alternator cable. Racecar services shows three cables but no fuse on any of them. PA has a fuse in their alternator to fusebox cable from what I read.

What's up with all these different kits and where should the fuse really be? Both alternator and battery to fusebox??

Are there currently any fuses in the inline cables from the battery and alternator to the fusebox?? I don't think there are on a 2010.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread