Question to DTD and the viewers of this forum...

Teej281

Established Member
Hey guys! I just had a few quick questions.

We'll start off with saying I have a set of the 17x8 Starfish wheels that came stock on 99-00 Mustang GT's and a set of 16x7's from an 04 V6. Now the questions start.

1. I will be using one of these setups for winter driving. One of them for drag racing. Obviously it would be better to have 2 sets of 16's for this, but thats not the case. I was pretty set on using the 17's for the drag setup and putting some MT ET Street bias plys out back and cheap radials up front. I cannot get the fronts narrowed enough to run the bias ply front runners on the car or I would. I figured the 17's would not allow as much sway at the top end of the track having a little less sidewall. And then I was planning on using the 16's as the winter wheels and throwing all seasons or snow tires on them. This all translates into cost and effectiveness for the application. What would you guys do and why?

2. What are some good all season tires to look at? I dont want to spend a ton of money, but I dont want el cheapo junk either. I like to run nitto tires, but have nothing against any of the other brands. Just prefer to run what has always treated me well! But any suggestions welcome!

3. What sort of tire would you suggest I run up front that is a radial that could possibly help with the sway at the track. I know this is going to sound quite odd, and I swore I would never do this ever, but would running a drag radial that has a softer sidewall up front help that at all?

Just some questions for ya guys! Thanks for the help! :beer:

Teej

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hey guys! I just had a few quick questions.

We'll start off with saying I have a set of the 17x8 Starfish wheels that came stock on 99-00 Mustang GT's and a set of 16x7's from an 04 V6. Now the questions start.

1. I will be using one of these setups for winter driving. One of them for drag racing. Obviously it would be better to have 2 sets of 16's for this, but thats not the case. I was pretty set on using the 17's for the drag setup and putting some MT ET Street bias plys out back and cheap radials up front. I cannot get the fronts narrowed enough to run the bias ply front runners on the car or I would. I figured the 17's would not allow as much sway at the top end of the track having a little less sidewall. And then I was planning on using the 16's as the winter wheels and throwing all seasons or snow tires on them. This all translates into cost and effectiveness for the application. What would you guys do and why?

I think you hit the nail right on the head.

The 17" set-up will be great for the track and the 16" set-up will be ideal for the winter. Running the 16" size during the winter months allows for a narrower width and taller sidewall which can help with snow traction.

2. What are some good all season tires to look at? I dont want to spend a ton of money, but I dont want el cheapo junk either. I like to run nitto tires, but have nothing against any of the other brands. Just prefer to run what has always treated me well! But any suggestions welcome!

If the 16" set-up is going to be only used in the winter, I recommend running a winter tire. Winter tires are designed to be pliable in colder weather when compared to a performance or all-season tire. A couple excellent models to look into are the Hankook Icebear W300 or Ipike W409. If you see a lot of deep snow driving, go with the Ipike. If you are mainly driving on cleared roads or light snow, the W300 would be best.

3. What sort of tire would you suggest I run up front that is a radial that could possibly help with the sway at the track. I know this is going to sound quite odd, and I swore I would never do this ever, but would running a drag radial that has a softer sidewall up front help that at all?

Running a drag radial in the front will actually make the handling worse. Drag radials use a semi radial construction which allows for more flex in the sidewall. I recommend running the Goodyear Eagle GT in size 225/50-17. This model utilizes a stiff sidewall and in this size carries a high speed rating.

Just some questions for ya guys! Thanks for the help! :beer:

Teej

Replies in red ^

Users who are viewing this thread