Question regarding pulley swap + Predator

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
Ok, I'm ready to swap pulleys and use the predator to optimize my A/F ratio. Now:

1. What size and brand of pulley should I use?

2. What size belt? (I don't want to bother with idlers)

3. What spark plugs?

4. Is the predator easy to use based on your mods? (I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to this)

5. Do I need to go to a Dyno to do this?

6. Anyone in Southern Cal that can help me?

Muchas Gracias

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
1. What size and brand of pulley should I use? 2.8"

2. What size belt? Get the idlers(you don't want the belt to slip)

3. What spark plugs? (NKG or Denso)

4. Is the predator easy to use based on your mods? Get it dyno tuned by a pro

5. Do I need to go to a Dyno to do this? see above

6. Anyone in Southern Cal that can help me? xtc motorsports...swanson performance...+many more

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by gmynko
Ok, I'm ready to swap pulleys and use the predator to optimize my A/F ratio. Now:

1. What size and brand of pulley should I use?

2. What size belt? (I don't want to bother with idlers)

3. What spark plugs?

4. Is the predator easy to use based on your mods? (I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to this)

5. Do I need to go to a Dyno to do this?

6. Anyone in Southern Cal that can help me?

My opinion:

1. Many people like the non-slip RR pullies. Note, you cannot use a Gatorback with this type of pully. I use a 2.8" pully with a Gates 74". I have some slip. I'll probably change out my stock pullies for slightly larger 100mm pullies to have the stelath look. Others have had success with Gatorback 73.5" with this size pully.

2. See above question, search the forums, lots of opinions.

3. I'm running the stockers. The NGK's and Denso Iridiums seem popular, again a search might yield better conversations. I'm almost 100% sure that I'll go Denso next time around, I saw an excel graph showing misfires ... the Densos win at high rpm. I'd have someone gap them for you, the electode is TINY.

4. The Predator is simple. If your sotck minus intake and exhaust, use the Performance tune. For boost levels up to 14#, your to use the pulley tune. Now, dependant on where you live, the type of gas, and the amount of belt slip you have you may or may not need to add fuel or retard timing. A good tuner /dyno guy should be able to help you out.

5. ALWAYS dyno your car with such a drastic change. Make sure your car is safe. My car was tuned by Diablo, and even my pulley tune is rich, there is more power in there, but its less safe. A dyno sheet with your a/f and listening for detonation will help you out.

6. This I don't know. I would suggest checking out the local dyno shops / tuners others may recommend and choose the one that can work best with the Predator. If you bought yours from a dealr who offers custom tunes, perhaps he has some shops in mind that will work with you and him to get the best out of your car.

Good luck.

John

KingSnake

Established Member
Hey so with a rr 2.95 pulley with no idler what brand of belt and what length? Also would the pulley tune be safe with this pulley? I dont know when I could get to a dyno Im in Va

Thanks

Not trying to hijack this thread just had similar questions

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I have the RR 2.95 pulley matched up with a 74 inch Gates belt. I have zero slip!! If you go the RR route no idlers are needed for the 2.95. I have the predator pulley tune leaned out to 7.5%. It is still a very safe tune running about 11:8 at 4000 dropping off to 11.5 at redline. I can get more out of it but I like the conservative tune.

Just make sure to test the car on a dyno. You can not trust the stock pulley tune.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I have heard the C&L leans out the AF 5% across the board. Most people on the forum do not like the C&L because it adds another factor in the tuning process. I believe it is more that 5%. Before my pulley swap I only had the C&L and catback. The C&L caused my car to get a check engine light (SES lean condition). With the predator you can compensate for the difference so it is no big deal. A chip may be a different story.

KingSnake

Established Member
So odds are I should be ok with the 2.95 and pulley tune? James at rwtd said I could go 2.80 no problem. I just dont know if I can get to a dyno soon. The only thing else I have is steeda cai and magnaflow catback.

Thanks for the help

Chuck

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
My experience with the predator has been awesome. The tune in my case was very conservative. I had to lean it out 1/2 a point across the board and still ended up with a very safe tune. I will also be going to a 2.80 pulley soon. The tune should not be a problem with the 2.80. However, there have been some horror stories posted on the forum with that setup.

cobra101

Established Member
I have the 2.75 RR and now an idler. I am using a 74 gates. The predator tune was pinging with fuel maxed and timing retard. I got a custom tune. If you do not have access to a dyno/dyno tuner I would play it safe. That 2.95RR and 74 gates seems like a good setup for you.

If you are getting a predator from rwtd than maybe you can go with the 2.8RR, 74 gates and a 100mm idler. rwtd can give you a custom tune if the predator does not work right. I hear he is very good.

Good luck.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
If you are getting a predator from rwtd than maybe you can go with the 2.8RR, 74 gates and a 100mm idler. rwtd can give you a custom tune if the predator does not work right. I hear he is very good.

Good luck. [/B][/QUOTE]

This is the exact same set up I am going to go with come income tax time. The 2.95 pulley is nice but as with any good thing it becomes addicting.

tampaSVT'03

Established Member
I use a South Florida Pulley Headquarters interchangable 2.93 pulley with a 74" Gatorback belt and have no Idlers and no slip. I would not go to a 2.80 until you have a larger heat exchanger, apten ported eaton and a cooling bypass mod. with a 2.80 you will gain a small amount of horsepower and 20 or so lb/ft torque over a 2.90 but it will be hot boost from putting the eaton out of its effective range by overspinnig it that could lead to premature valve guide ware in cylinders 7&8 due to heat and cause the tick so many cars have. As far as a tune, I use a Super Chip tuned by Dave Caine but I would get the car tuned no matter what you use. Preditors work different from car to car and also need a custom program to be most effective. Good Luck...

Users who are viewing this thread