Question regarding max power on stock bottom end

Shouter351

It seems to be the norm to say max safe power on a stock bottom end is 400-450ish with a good tune. Now. My Vortech v2 2v is at 382rwhp with a SAFE tune. Tuner told me there is a lot more in it. This was on a dynojet, which do read quite high. So, is this max safe level on a mustang dyno, or dyno jet? Very different numbers. A guy I know has almost an identical setup and he has been at 450ish on the same dyno for 2 years. So what is it? Dynojet or Mustang Dyno?
894-DEDC4-1-D8-D-4-F96-B032-9244-D57-C3-A03.jpg

jaxbusa

Established Member
There is not a magical number where your engine will break. It is more a rule of thumb using 400-450 and I would assume it is using Dynojet numbers. I don’t think it really matters that much between the two dyno figures. You will find people really pushing the envelope on stock engines far beyond that, but they should know it could break at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Im making 450whp on a stock 2v bottom end on a Dynojet. Haven't had any problems and the car gets driven like a Mustang from time-to-time lol.

Shouter351

Definitely no magic number for sure. I’ve heard of guys running closer to 500 on a stock bottom end. Really just something I’ve always been curious about.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
It seems to be the norm to say max safe power on a stock bottom end is 400-450ish with a good tune. Now. My Vortech v2 2v is at 382rwhp with a SAFE tune. Tuner told me there is a lot more in it. This was on a dynojet, which do read quite high. So, is this max safe level on a mustang dyno, or dyno jet? Very different numbers. A guy I know has almost an identical setup and he has been at 450ish on the same dyno for 2 years. So what is it? Dynojet or Mustang Dyno?
View attachment 1527200
Gorgeous GT. Love the stance and the staggered wheels.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sluggie24

Established Member
On a very safe tune my supercharged 04 GT auto put down 380rwhp. (Would be over 400 with a stick) My tuner, who is very well respected in my area, told me that's as far as I can reliably go with the stock bottom end. The rods and pistons can't reliably hold more than that according to him. He even said a more aggressive tune on my current setup would even be asking for trouble.

Stanger00

Established Member
Need a lot more info. If you’re at 8-9psi then 380-390 is normal. If you bump up to 11-12 then 450 is good too but on borrowed time.

I ran 10-11 psi with 400-415 hp in my stock longblock with 4r70w. I ran that setup for 6 years from 2005 to 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

JZNYCRealEstate

Established Member
Man that thing looks nearly identical to my first Mustang. ‘02 Mineral Gray GT I had from 2008-2011. Loved that car a lot. Yours is gorgeous man - appears to be DSG and not Mineral Gray however, but still, very similar set ups.
IMG_0809.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

5rand0n7

Established Member
I have a stock longblock 4.6 2v that makes 404whp/397wtq on a dynojet. It has a vortech v3si with a 3.33" pulley and is air-to-air intercooled. Mine makes 10psi at 6k rpm and just shy of 12psi if I rev it out to 6500rpm. Timing is at 16 degrees and I run 92 e10 in the gas tank. I've had it this way for at least 3 summers now and drive it a mixture of all types of driving (slow/easy & fast/hard). It's been to the drag strip once with the blower setup on it and ran a 12.7 @ 113mph in the 1/4 mile. By the way, this was full weight on street tires with a terrible 60' in my defense.

I'm a firm believer it's more dependent on the amount of boost and how it comes on for reliability of the bottom end. Also, the tune is obviously the most important part. I'd say around 10-12psi is the best range for power and reliability (if we're talking stock longblock - i.e. bottom end, stock cams, etc.). The power it makes on that amount of boost is what it is - usually around 400whp. I've read and agree that revving it past 6k rpm is riskier too. I've been shifting mine at 6500rpm for 3 Summers now and it's been fine though. If I wanted to make more power, I would do a set of blower cams and install my fuel system. That could potentially get me to 450-500whp. I'd be okay with that. If the tune looked good and it ran good, send it if you can afford a new engine.

As for the hp/tq numbers on which dyno... I think it's more common to find a dynojet than a Mustang dyno. I'd say the 400-450whp safe limit is referring to a dynojet. Also, keep in mind that shops with dynos will sometimes skew their numbers or be different depending on factors such as temperature, elevation, etc. You'll hear that the track times determine how fast you are, not the dyno.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Upgrade those brakes before you do anything. Those gt brakes suck.

Users who are viewing this thread