Question on the Gen 2 motor ?

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
I'm looking at getting back into a mustang for a weekend/fair weather toy. I have it narrowed down to a 13-14 Gt500 or 19-20 Gt350. I'm looking for around 650 rwhp when done.

Is the gen 2 voodoo bottom end better than the trinity for boost and rpm? As I know the weak link for the trinity is the rods and rpm.

Thanks.

ANGREY

Established Member
No better or worse (strictly in terms of the rotating components). Those cars are very different, in fact the late S550 is probably closer to a GT350 than the previous gen 500. Both will make decent power off 93 and more than decent power on E-85 (but do it fairly differently), much more than your 650 rwhp goal, so I'd say pick the car you like better because the power level you want is well within the safety of both motors.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Ask this same question in the 13/14 Shelby section when you get a chance.

Question is, do you or do you not like the low end torque that the GT 500 can deliver over a 350?

I like straight lines, so I prefer the torque and the exclusive 2 year run of the 13/14

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
Ask this same question in the 13/14 Shelby section when you get a chance.

Question is, do you or do you not like the low end torque that the GT 500 can deliver over a 350?

I like straight lines, so I prefer the torque and the exclusive 2 year run of the 13/14

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I agree with you.I drove my friends GT350 R,and it was great,BUT you cant beat the power of the 13-14 GT500.

fearthesnake

Established Member
The 5.8 Motor gets a bad rap. Its not as weak as some or the few that will tell you. You can run safely up to 800hp, just watch the Revs and have a good fuel system or E85. A 750hp 13/14 Shelby is a wicked seat of the pants ride. I've had mine now at close to 750hp for 5 years now no problems.

Test drove several GT350s and they too are awesome Cars. Just not the Torque monsters the 500s are.

So it comes down to your driving preference and can't go wrong with either car. If your goal is to get a GT350 to 700hp or more, be prepared to spend $8K + in upgrades, its not cheap.

For me, I enjoy what my 13 GT500 offers, love the low end Torque and style so thats why I kept it.

Good luck on your choice! Both cars are awesome.

03reptile

Established Member
I had a 2013 GT500 and bought a 2019 GT350 when I learned of the lack of a 6 speed and exorbitant price of the new 2020 GT500. I had 46K on the 500, so it wasn't a garage queen! I found the GT500 fun to drive but much of the power was lost to wheel spin on WOT ventures. You were always trying to get traction. The GT350 put that issue to bed! I find the GT350 far more fun to drive as the suspension, engine, and brakes all work to compliment each other during the driving experience. While my 2013 would be spinning off the line, the GT350 would hook up and be gone!

fearthesnake

Established Member
I had a 2013 GT500 and bought a 2019 GT350 when I learned of the lack of a 6 speed and exorbitant price of the new 2020 GT500. I had 46K on the 500, so it wasn't a garage queen! I found the GT500 fun to drive but much of the power was lost to wheel spin on WOT ventures. You were always trying to get traction. The GT350 put that issue to bed! I find the GT350 far more fun to drive as the suspension, engine, and brakes all work to compliment each other during the driving experience. While my 2013 would be spinning off the line, the GT350 would hook up and be gone!
Did you run the Stock Goodyear on the 13? Those tires were dangerous!

Once I went with a wider,sticky tire - Nitto NT05s traction was not a problem and really puts the 662hp to good use.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

And by about half track, the 500 would blow by you as if you suddenly found reverse.

03reptile

Established Member
Did you run the Stock Goodyear on the 13? Those tires were dangerous!

Once I went with a wider,sticky tire - Nitto NT05s traction was not a problem and really puts the 662hp to good use.
I've had three, new, past GT500s; 07, 11 and 13. The Crap-years came off immediately after i took delivery of every one! I was more into road courses than quarter mile. You can, and many do, put wider tires, drag radials, etc. on the rear to enhance traction. As I drove my car's year round, weather permitting, I usually bought Michelin A/S 3's. I don't like to have different tire tread patterns or manufacturer differences between front and rear as they can differ in adhesion ability, so I didn't mix tires. Lot's of people use the Nitto's and they do improve traction. Great tires. The inevitability with the GT500's is many folks add horsepower increases which exacerbates the traction problems all over again. I just found that the GT350 was a far more balanced car for all modes of driving and a much better car when the roads turn. I enjoyed all my GT500's, thoroughly, but always was aware that you had to be very careful when applying full throttle or you'd be in the marbles. A lot of that concern evaporated with the GT350.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Forget the GT350 unless u plan on adding a power adder. Otherwise they're lame AF! I drove one and kept waiting for the power to kick in....:rolleyes: I almost took a nap waiting smh.

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
Thanks for the replies everyone. I under stand they are two difference cars, Drag vs track.

I love the power of the 500, and love the interior and tech of the 350. Being at 5000' in elevation NA motors suffer. The 350 doesn't seem to have the power hit I'm use too, but does rev forever. So that's why I was looking into the gun 2 voodoo as it is supposed to have a better bottom end for boost vs the gen 1. I'm still up in the air as a boosted 350 sounds fun, but basic bolt on 500 would a blast too.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Thanks for the replies everyone. I under stand they are two difference cars, Drag vs track.

I love the power of the 500, and love the interior and tech of the 350. Being at 5000' in elevation NA motors suffer. The 350 doesn't seem to have the power hit I'm use too, but does rev forever. So that's why I was looking into the gun 2 voodoo as it is supposed to have a better bottom end for boost vs the gen 1. I'm still up in the air as a boosted 350 sounds fun, but basic bolt on 500 would a blast too.
Full exhaust, Tune, E-85 on a N/A 350 is a stout car. A boosted 350 is best of both worlds though and would be the way to go but it's a premium cost.

Good luck on your decision and search, keep us updated when you buy.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Good luck on your choice! Both cars are awesome.

Yes they are. I really don't like the body style after 2014. But, the R Model ascetically is very pleasing to me. Unfortunately, I'm a fat ass American who can't fit them narrow Recaros they started putting in the newer Fords. ST....R's, etc.

*And I'm not fat, it's just what happens when you actually put in work at the gym

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I under stand they are two difference cars, Drag vs track.

Do you wanna be an Ax Murderer or a Surgeon?

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
We bought a GT500 PP new in 2012 and it was an awesome car after we sold our 2009 GT500. The power curve on the 12 was brutal but without drag radials first gear would bang off the rev limiter immediately. This year we got a 2017 GT350 with 4,000 miles on the clock. It had already had long tube headers, x pipe with high flow cats, JLT intake and dyno tune. Understand also that I'm a serious old school drag racer from way back and you can't have too much horsepower! Between the 500 and the 350, I much prefer the GT350 for usable power and I guarantee you won't take a nap before the power kicks in on it! Now I have never driven a stock GT350 so I really can't comment on them.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Well, thats kinda the underlying problem with the car is it costs a shit ton of money to buy then u have to add a shit ton of money to give it any power. Those bolt-ons and a tune are worth about a 100 hp if ur tuning for gas. A 100 hp still makes the car slow bro no offense. It needs like 250 hp.

U dont have to do shit to a GT500 and its still fast as ****! Same cant be said for lame as GT350.

Again, this is a $60k car! It shouldn't need a bunch of bolt-on shit to make it a little faster then it is stock!

I guarantee you won't take a nap before the power kicks in on it! Now I have never driven a stock GT350 so I really can't comment on them.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, thats kinda the underlying problem with the car is it costs a shit ton of money to buy then u have to add a shit ton of money to give it any power. Those bolt-ons and a tune are worth about a 100 hp if ur tuning for gas. A 100 hp still makes the car slow bro no offense. It needs like 250 hp.

U dont have to do shit to a GT500 and its still fast as ****! Same cant be said for lame as GT350.

Again, this is a $60k car! It shouldn't need a bunch of bolt-on shit to make it a little faster then it is stock!

preach it

fearthesnake

Established Member

I take it you're not a fan of the 350 :D. For the amount of money a new one cost, agree it should have a little more umphhh under the hood!

Users who are viewing this thread